Hip dysplasia?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by sun4day, Mar 21, 2017.

1. sun4day

sun4day Registered Users

Hello everyone, I have some questions. My labrador is 10 months old and I have noticed some symptoms of hip dysplasia. He always sits like a frog (like in a photo, it's example), while running - runs like a bunny. Also he can't sit for a long time, he always lying on the floor. Why he does that? Is he lazy or having serious health problems? In documents, father - 0/A, mother - 0/B
    [​IMG]

2. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

Hi there,

I'm sorry you are worried about your dog. My dog has hip dysplasia in both joints and has done from an early age. My thoughts come only from my personal experience with my dog Monty, who is now three. I wouldn't worry about how he sits, lots of dogs sit to one side or the other, or just like in your photo. My dog sits similarly to yours but my vet doesn't believe this is anything to do with his hip joints, its just his own preference. The same for lying down, some dogs may just prefer this position, especially on a floor which is quite slippy where their paws start to slide anyway. I actually stopped going to a puppy class held indoors as I didn't like the floor surface at all.
    Potentially the bunny hopping when running could be a sign of hip problems but I wouldn't get too worried about this alone, my advice would be to go to your vet who can feel from moving your dogs joints around whether he is showing any signs of soreness, inflammation or restricted movement, and then if they are worried they will get some xrays done which will almost certainly give you a definitive answer. In the meantime I would just make sure you don't over exercise him, he's still a growing boy and there's a good chance his joints are perfectly fine.

Best of luck to you

drjs@5 and Pilatelover like this.
  3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Excellent advice from @leejane . My almost six year old often bunny hops when he runs , but our Vet is happy with his hips , having examined him thoroughly .

4. sun4day

sun4day Registered Users

Thank you so much @leejane @kateincornwall ! :) I have a question. At what age all breeders usually test their dogs (I mean dysplasia, eyes and etc.)?

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Usually , unless a dog is in trouble re hips , they are health tested from about a year old , for hips , elbows and eyes .

6. sun4day

sun4day Registered Users

7. MF

MF Registered Users

My boy is almost five years old and sits just like the dog in the photo. He also has a hunch in his back when he sits, looks very awkward. And he does not like to sit - flops to lie down (unless there's an amazing treat!).

He had his hips x-rayed at four years old and they were completely normal. He was being x-rayed for a slipped lumbar disc so we asked for his joints, too.

I also thought it weird that he sits with his legs splayed, but the vet said it was normal, dogs sit differently.

He doesn't bunny hop though.

If you're worried, best to have a vet check him out.

8. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Cooper sits on her back when she is relaxed. She is a tall gangly dog but actually very fast and athletic. Her back legs are really long, and I don't think she is comfortable in a proper dog sit for a long period. The Vet did a routine X-ray of her hips when she went in for Spay surgery and said her hips were fine.

Somewhere I read that if a dog lies down with their legs stretched out behind them, it was a sign of good hips. I don't know if it is true but all of our dogs have done that and none of them have had hip issues, beyond just being a little stiff when they reached old age.