Home Alone Puppies And Dogs

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Cath

Cath Registered Users

No you are still with us Julie :D

2. FinnOfSoCal

FinnOfSoCal Registered Users

And I should clarify that in no way am I commenting on which owner is better or worse or making a judgement. I think everyone here is great! But may have differing opinions on what is best for their dog, etc.

selina27, Pilatelover and drjs@5 like this.
  3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

hmmm....I am that eloquent.:D whilst I agree that new lab owners seeking advice on how to raise their puppy are likely to hit on this forum, the majority of organisations, such as the kennel club, rescues, breed clubs, trainers are advocating much the same thing as the forum, regarding the amount of time a puppy can/should be left, advice on feeding, training, puppy classes etc. Indeed if you work full time don't even bother applying for a shelter dog, unless you are applying to a more enlightened rescue organisation that is. So I am not sure "dedicated" would be the term I would use.
    Regarding being "slaves" to our dogs, well I am not sure about that either. Live a full life?That in my mind is a given, it is the very least I can do.
    Wild dogs...well they should stay wild dogs, their lives are about survival, there is no comparison.

Pilatelover, Joy, Naya and 1 other person like this.
  4. Chococheer

Chococheer Registered Users

I believe culture definitely plays a part in the perception of dogs/animals - I've previously lived in country Australia and dogs are tools. They're not coddled, and if they can't or won't work, they're shot (or euthanised by the local vet). They live outside irrespective of weather, and are fed meat scraps (no carefully balanced diet for a working dog).

Even in suburbia (where I now reside), dogs frequently live outside in kennels or under patios - it's becoming more common to hear of house dogs, but they're usually the small and fluffy kind.

I'm considered a "crazy dog lady" by my family and peers - I'm told frequently my boy is just a dog and to relax and stop fussing over him.

My closest friend is an British Expat and I've asked her about the attitude on this forum in regard to the appropriate care for dogs and puppies - and she informs me it's an entirely different ballgame in the UK.

As this forum is open to the world, perhaps everyone could be a little more considerate and understanding of differing cultures - just my humble opinion.

selina27, FinnOfSoCal, Jes72 and 2 others like this.
  5. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Goooooo on, Julie, let her rip! You've always given sensible, practical advice, to me and many others. It'd be a shame to see you step back from the forum.

Stacia likes this.
  6. Emily

Emily Registered Users

We're in Australia too and I can totally agree with these comments. I'm the "crazy dog lady" too! :D

Chococheer likes this.
  7. Cath

Cath Registered Users

I think my Mother must of beat you to this title. When we lived in Australia over 55 years ago, our dog did not live outside and was treated as one of the family.

Emily likes this.
  8. FinnOfSoCal

FinnOfSoCal Registered Users

My dad was more of a super helicopter dog person with our family dog growing up. He was too worried to leave her in a boarding or other situation and therefore we almost never took trips without the dog...which I used to resent because it really limited our family trips. I was like...just put her in boarding she will be FINE! Hahah.

Most of my friends own dogs here in the States...they all work full time-ish and all their dogs are very happy and well adjusted. They are treated like family though and come hiking/camping/the beach/to bbqs/etc in the off time.

9. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I think that's an interesting point and I do agree to an extent. I know that from my own, very limited, experience the only time I've found Ella to be stressed is when we do something out of the ordinary. However, I do think there is a limit to this (for example, I personally don't believe you should leave a dog alone in a backyard for multiple days with no human contact, just because they've grown used to it - btw I'm not suggesting that anyone here does this, it's just an example at the more extreme end of the scale) and I suppose this thread has attempted to gain an idea of what that limit is. However, what I think this thread has shown is that people have hugely different opinions and, as Pippa pointed out, none of us can actually reference any studies or source material to support our opinions.

10. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I discovered this recently and so wish it existed outside the UK and Ireland. I'd be borrowing doggies like mad!

drjs@5 likes this.
  11. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

The borrow a dog idea seems great but in reality they charge about £45 to sign up.... Im not sure how convinced I am of it ...

12. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Get you hands off your not having Rory and Moo :)
    I do wonder if my dogs like having time on their own. Perhaps they like to just relax sometimes. We like to be together and do things but they do like to rest and just potter about in the garden or house .just an idle thought. I mean we assume we know what they want and they don't really have much of a choice

13. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Couldn't agree more, I did notice you hadn't been around much and felt that a real shame.

14. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I don't know anything about it, but I imagine that the fee is (1) to pay for the running of the website/service and (2) to keep the weird-o levels down.

I get what you're saying, but if it was me putting my dog on there to meet up with some random person, I'd actually be less likely to use it if they DIDN'T charge a fee. You could still get someone not on the up-and-up, but the fee would at least weed out the less serious people.

It would be really interesting to hear from someone who has actually used it. The website was kind of useless to me as if you don't create a profile, you don't see much info...and as I'm outside of the UK/Ireland, I can't even create a profile.

15. Chococheer

Chococheer Registered Users

That's lovely, Cath - I'm sure you mother very much enjoyed the inclusion of your dog as a family member. Personally, I've included my Labs as household family members from the first of my three beautiful Labs, but that doesn't change the fact I'm most certainly in the minority (in Australia) - even in this day and age.

16. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

Also visibly noted @JulieT and sadden by it, Have found all your advice to people straightforward to the point and with dogs at the heart of it all. :clap:

samandmole, edzbird and drjs@5 like this.
  17. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

And I miss Charlie and Betsy pics :( @JulieT

samandmole, Beckyt6, drjs@5 and 4 others like this.
  18. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Her Father was a Game keeper in the uk, but he always said that a girl should have a dog. This has always happen to the girls in our family. His dogs were working dogs, but his daughters dogs were their dogs alone.

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

@Maggie68 uses Borrow my Doggy for Otis and I think has found it a God-send.
    I know she pops on now and again and I see her on FB, so if she doesn't see this tag I mag give her the nod for some help on this one.

20. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

drjs@5 likes this.