Home Alone Puppies And Dogs

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Feb 18, 2017.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think you have to consider the dog's overall quality of life. Does the dog get stacks of activities, play, fun training and new experiences? Is the dog living as part of the family, included in what the family does (I'd say that includes sleeping!)? You have to look at the overall life of the dog, and also the indications that individual dog is a well adjusted, content individual - and just because a dog doesn't complain doesn't mean that it hasn't been bored into accepting inactivity and mind numbing nothingness as its lot (rather than being a dog that howls the place down in those circumstances).

It's far, far too easy for people to say 'I don't leave my dog alone therefore it is well cared for'. Really? No, not always. Shutting the dog away in the kitchen, or ignoring it for hours on end while you do something else isn't necessarily 'well cared for'. Company means interaction, something to do, being together. Not just 'being there'.

We could start a thread with the title 'should you have young children and own a dog?' because as far as I can see, the same considerations apply (in terms of being committed to the dog's welfare) for massively busy parents of young kids! In some families the dog gets horribly neglected, in others the dog is as happy as Larry.

2. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I agree that interaction is important. I don't see the point of getting a dog if you're not prepared to spend time with it. As you realised from our earlier post, we bring our dogs into our life as much as possible. I'm typing this one handed as Holly has her head on my knee for an ear-rub.

On the flip side of the coin, all of our dogs have enjoyed some "me time" when they can snooze or sunbathe (Holly), steal and hide plant pots (Gypsy), or spend time in the garden sniffing the plants and the wind (Cocoa). Its important to get the balance right for each dog so that it gets the interaction that it needs but has time to be itself. In my limited experience I've found that different dogs have different needs and expectations.

I think it is possible for some families to have young children and a dog. My first dog (a black Lab called Tammy) was bought when I was a child and was very much part of family life. I have also seen the other end of the spectrum where a dog gets little attention as the children grow. Its dangerous to generalise as it depends on the family and the dog.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes please.

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes. And this also applies to broad brush statements about 'working dog parents'.

Basically, when you get a dog you need to be able and wiling to give that dog as much attention, time, love and money as you would to a kid. Working doesn't stop you doing that. In fact, working means I can afford daycare, trips with my dog, and any level of health care that my dog needs. Not having kids mean that my dog gets my attention any time he wants it and it means that we plan absolutely everything around the dog.

snowbunny and JulieT like this.
  5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

We got Hattie when my four children were fairly young, the youngest being seven years old. Hattie was trained by my daughter for 18 months at dog classes at the age of 13 years and was asked to go onto showing Hattie and help the trainer but School was more important. Hattie was always with me taking/collecting children from School, going to the park after School, Scouts, Horse riding lessons, football you name it she came with me so she has always been part of my childrens lives including family holidays too and I worked part time. Hattie also works as a PAT dog, so busy, busy, busy household especially when Charlie joined our family.

There's absolutely no reason at all why you shouldn't have children and own a dog it's just a case of being really organised :)

Granca, Cath, Naya and 1 other person like this.
  6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Its not really that complicated for me i need something which i feel passionate about to fill my time.i don't want to think about my life at all or whats happening. The dogs fill my time and give me some peace and enjoyment. I don't ask for much or expect it I just enjoy what I can. My expectations are low nothing crazy just my oh my dogs that's it.

Granca, Cath, Naya and 1 other person like this.
  7. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Absolutely. I know far to many people that have' forgotten' their dog since they had human kids. The funny thing is that most of them are stay-at-home mums so are actually home for most of the day.

I work part time and my OH is a shift worker and we spend our lives working out fun things to do with the kids (human and fur kids together). It doesn't always work (Ella's dog trials or Nathan's swimming lessons) but we generally manage to live happily where no one gets left out :)

Naya, selina27, Joy and 3 others like this.
  8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It's important to draw a line between 'leaving alone' and 'arranging care for your dog while you work'.

These are two extremely different things.

I work, I work full time. Sometimes I get to work from home, sometimes I have to spend long hours in an office. Either way, my dogs have company, activities, and are cared for.

Working does not = leaving a dog alone for long hours, although it does usually involve leaving a dog for some hours at least.

But...I don't subscribe to this view:

My work doesn't exhaust me. It sometimes, but thankfully not too often, bores me - but hey, that's life got to earn to bring home the sea biscuits, and pay for the dog health care, gundog holidays, scent work classes, hydro swimming lessons, interactive play workshops.....

I come home and do not slump in front of the TV. I think "fantastic, work is over" and I tell the dogs (who have already had 3 individual walks by a caring, professionally qualified dog walker that I can afford to pay because I work) "yay! it's adventure time!" and we grab leads and boots and we go - we have fun. We play and we train.

I work AND I have time and energy for my dogs. I've studied and worked hard for the career I have and just like women with kids, I can do both. Just like people that work have time and energy for children, or running marathons, or endless other activities. I just choose to spend my non working life time with my dogs. Since I have few other commitments, that's a LOT of time I have for dogs.

9. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

I think also there has to be a recognition that people's lives change, there's an ebb and flow of activity and time available.
    We wanted a dog for many years. We had cats and loved them but truly wanted a dog. Early on we knew we couldn't afford one, a few years later we knew we didn't have the time. We talked about having a dog for much longer than most people discuss having children. OH was made redundant and out of work for nearly a year, it would have been a great time to raise a puppy but we said no as we didn't know what the future held.

Finally we got monty just over 3 years ago, husband worked really early shifts and I could start late, work at home etc so this seemed ideal. And it was, for 12 months. Then he had to change jobs and was suddenly out of the house for 60 hours a week. The onus fell on me to sort out his care and to be home early if needed. We had to bring in dog walkers and daycare that we had never anticipated. Things are fine now, occasionally he gets left for a bit longer than we would like, but try and make up for it when we are back at home.

I would also agree with other comments that just being at home doesn't mean you are there for your dog, I often have my dog walker come in while I'm working at home as I know he will get a fun filled hour with other dogs, much better than the half an hour lead walk I would give him.

I don't quite know how to word this appropriately, but I do hope that dog ownership does not become only accessible to the wealthy and time rich. Many households, whatever their make up, are enriched socially, physically and emotionally by caring for a dog, and in most cases the dog has a happy and fulfilled life.

Beckyt6, charlie, selina27 and 2 others like this.
  10. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

My instinct was to say 'yes, yes me too. ' but actually I think I do want to work, albeit fewer hours than I do now, and even taking out the finances, I think I am a more balanced and well rounded person for working.... the (potentially threatened ) state of my mental health if I didn't work would be a more important issue for us than monty having someone at home all day.

selina27 and Harley Quinn like this.
  11. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Working and structure is important I would if I stayed home become very withdrawn. My short working hours also cover the cost of the dogs among other things.i like to have a healthy balance and am lucky my OH works full time. I am lucky and in a good position to give my dogs a great life. Not eveyone is in my position but i don't see why they shouldn't have a dog yhryvtoo wuth planning give their dog a good life. I think I agree totally leejane it would be horrible if dog owning became a preserve of the wealthy and time rich. Most people with dogs I know make it work, but then I do think a lot of the people I meet are like me/us deeply committed to their dogs. I'm very lucky i have never had to use daycare or kennels but provision is in place for when I'm ill.

12. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

This kind of sums the topic up doesn't it. This thread has been so interesting and I think probably gives anyone considering taking on a dog while they work full time some food for thought.

It's clearly possible to give a dog a great life while working full-time, provided the right day care arrangements can be put in place and provided that the owner has the energy and enthusiasm to interact with their dog when they are home. Equally dogs can be neglected when the owner is sat three feet away ignoring them.

Getting the right information (about what is involved in raising a dog) into the hands of prospective puppy buyers so that they are able to figure out whether or not they are in the right place to own a dog before they swap the contents of their wallet for a puppy, is the tricky part.

Karen, SwampDonkey and Cath like this.