Home and Away? Should I take my rescue dog out yet?

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Learning Curve, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Learning Curve

Learning Curve Registered Users

I'm wondering whether it's helpful or not to take my rescue dog out for walks whilst I am working on the early stages of Pippa's basics? I imagine it might be counter-productive to her training but I think it'll take me a while to get to the stage of proofing against distractions away from home. I have a big garden so my dog can run around here if she wants but I don't want to deprive her if it's not necessary.

2. Aitch

Aitch Registered Users

Walking her on a lead should be ok. She will be naturally curious but then you have great training opportunities. Try short walks at first and take lots of treats with you so that you can reward good behaviour. Obviously, don't let her off the lead yet. :)

3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I had a rescue 13 month old German Pointer, who had been taken by RSPCA from an inadequate home at 8 weeks and put into gun dog kennels, where all he had was a bare barrel to sleep in and a bucket of water and no outlook. He was a nervous wreck. The day after I had him, I took him up to the top of the hills and let him off, gambling that if I went one way he would follow me and I would keep changing directions. When I look back I think I must have been mad, but it worked, he always kept his eyes on me from then. Sadly he had epilepsy and died just eight years old from it. He was such a gentleman and didn't deserve to die so young.

4. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Definitely get out and about with him. As a trainer I have no problem with clients taking their dog out and about while we are working on training. Different experiences are good for the dog and give indicators for training where training needs to be focussed.

5. Learning Curve

Thank you all. That's good, and reassuring, to know.
    How sad about your dog, Stacia.

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome from me, Hattie 10 years and my rescue dog Charlie a Labrador x Pointer 7 years. I agree with advice already given, get your girl out and about as you really won't know what training issues you need to work on. How long have you had her, how old is she, do you have any background information on her, what's her name?

My boy was 9 months old when we adopted him and he came with masses of training/behavioural issues so the sooner you crack on the better. I recommend 'Total Recall', it saved our bacon!! Good luck xx

7. Learning Curve

Thank you. I've had her (a 3 year old working cocker, Molly) for 10 months and we've made some progress - she's wonderful with dogs now when she's off the lead. She has many triggers and is a nervous little thing. I have now got both Total Recall and the Labrador Handbook, and the penny is beginning to drop that the way to look at her triggers is as training Ds. I only recently came across Pippa's web-site and all her stuff is like a godsend. :) Molly lived with her brother who bullied her; owners worked full-time. She loves treats but has no interest in toys (yet).