Homer's adventure

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Jes72, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg The grand adventure has started!

Hubby and Homer are staying in the Alps for two months, from mid December until mid February.
    I'm out for the first two weeks over Christamas and New Year, then have to go back to work while Hubby and Homer stay on.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2017
    Karen, PawPrints, drjs@5 and 15 others like this.
  2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Wow , that last photo is wonderful ! I love snow but we rarely get any in Cornwall and when we do, the sea air melts it very quickly, much envy ! Have a wonderful time

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Oh how exciting! Love the photos, especially the third one of Homer in the snow :)

4. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Now that's some snow! I'm glad to see there's plenty of food for Homer too in the luggage! :)

Jes72 likes this.
  5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

What lucky boys :) What are they both doing out there without you!

6. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Enough dog food for a month, so he'll need to top up with French dog food, mixed in after a few weeks. There was a limit to what would fit in the car!

Granca likes this.
  7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

What a great adventure. Love the snow photo.

8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

What a fantastic adventure he is going to have. I bet you will miss him like mad.

Jes72 likes this.
  9. Cath

Cath Registered Users

What lucky lads :)

10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

How exciting!!!! Beautiful pic of Homer in the snow.

Jes72 likes this.
  11. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I love posts like this - thanks for sharing! Would love to keep seeing more of Homer's adventures in France in all that snow. :)

Jes72 likes this.
  12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

How exciting! Lots more pictures, please! How does he like the snow? My lot have been going bonkers in it since we've been back in the mountains! :)

13. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

That's what I'd like to know! Hubby has his routine all planned out to ski in the mornings and dog walk in the Afternoon.

We met an old friend on the slopes, who invited hubby out for a drink and hubby turned to Homer and said " I've got responsibilities now"

Karen, drjs@5, MF and 5 others like this.
  14. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

He loves the snow! Bounds about like a puppy. What he loves the most is leaving a trail of yellow snow on every corner.

Granca, Kelsey&Axel and snowbunny like this.
  15. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

That photo in the snow is wonderful! Lucky Homer! Your hubby is going to have a cracking few months - they've had so much snow in the Alps. My family are from Haute Savoie, it's the most beautiful part of the world imo. Where's your husband based? Is it hard to find a pet friendly rental, or is pet friendly the standard?

16. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

We are in Val d'Isere. (Hubby's favourite place) We have found dog friendly apartments quite easily. Two years ago we were here for two weeks which also worked out well. A few summers ago we went to Chamonix and Annecey with Homer. He loves his mountain walks.

Karen likes this.
  17. Xena Dog Princess

Val d'Isère is beautiful, and great skiing! My grandmother used to live in Annecy (a stone's throw from the lake) so I spent many childhood holidays there - the lake, the mountains...perfection.

It's so great that pet friendly rentals are so easy to come by. The attitude to pets is so different in Europe, it's lovely to read. Please keep sharing photos of "resort Homer". I'll bet he looks cracking in his après-ski.

Jes72 likes this.
  18. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

Hi Sophie and Xena, welcome back:)

I think you're right, since having a dog I've searched for a lot of holiday cottages, and I think somewhere between a third and a half accept dogs, I've been pleasantly surprised. Although not completely perfect, so many places are geared up for dogs, and the lake and seaside towns in the U.K. almost seem to accept dogs as a matter of course, if you go into a pub, (Unless a chain / restaurant) it would be unusual if they turned you away with a dog.

It seems to be far less usual in the Southern Hemisphere?

@Jes72 looking forward to lots of snowy pictures and Homer updates !!! You'll sure miss him when you have to come back. (And hubby too, of course!)

19. Xena Dog Princess

For a Western nation, NZ is exceptionally dog unfriendly. There's a massive housing shortage in the big cities, which means that competition for rental houses is unbelievable. Almost all landlords refuse pets as a matter of course, so when one pet friendly rental appears you have dozens of desperate pet owners vying for it - offering thousands of dollars in extra bond etc. So many dogs are having to be surrendered because their owners cannot find a pet friendly rental. We are at the stage now where it's honestly irresponsible for people to own a dog if they do not own their own home. Can you imagine such a thing in Europe? Taking your dog on holiday with you is a luxury most of us don't have in NZ.

20. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

Gosh that's bad for you.
    I'm speaking from the lucky position of having a (mortgaged) owned home for the last 13 years, but prior to that we lived in 2 privately rented homes with cats, and would probably have been allowed dogs there I've we'd have spoken nicely to the landlord. before that OH rented in both rural wales and inner city social housing in Birmingham and both places allowed cats. Both my SIL and BIL currently live in urban social housing with dogs. Maybe we've been lucky but the British sure like pets thank goodness.