Homer's adventure

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Jes72, Dec 20, 2017.

1. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

OMG just catching up with this thread.
    This is just fantastic. What an opportunity and what a fab experience for Homer who is clearly thriving.
    *love love love*

2. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I just don't know what's got into this dog. All sorts of noises that would usually set him off he's now ok with. He's not completely confident with everything yet but the change is still huge.

Yesterday he went into two different shops and waited patiently while hubby spoke to the assistants. The first was quiet but the second was busy with people trying on bulky ski boots. And he was fine! No pulling to get out as soon as possible.

Still little baby steps one step at a time

3. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Yesterday afternoon we took Homer with us to visit Hubby's sister who is skiing at a different resort. We were telling her how Homer was so much calmer and loved the snow. He spent the whole time pacing nervously, climbing up onto the sofa over us and down again with Hubby's boot in his mouth. He just would not settle.

When we got back to our appartment, he settled down on the rug, calm and peaceful for the rest of the evening.

At about 11pm there were a few firework bangs, only about 3/4 not a whole display which he didn't like and started scratching a bit on the kitchen floor, (no marks left with is our fear as its a rented appartment) He settled quite quickly after the bangs stopped.
    Off to buy bread for breakfast this morning.

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  4. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Heaps of snow here.

There've been Avalanche blasts all morning, quite loud and near as well as further off. Homer is coping, not well but not as bad as it could be. He's not been scratching rather pacing, settle for a while then pacing again. I gave him a dose of Sileo but unfortunately half went down the side of his face.

5. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

This morning I left Homer and Hubby and came back to a rather quiet house.

Here are some Apré Ski photos. image.jpeg

Who's that handsome dog?
    image.jpeg
    A dark one of Homer enjoying ham off the pizza. The first time he's settled in a bar, restaurant or coffee shop for over a year. It was early and quiet.

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Really good to read. I do wonder if by being a wee bit anxious, then settling means he is able to process and cope better?

Jes72 likes this.
  7. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I can only hope that his stay out there will be long enough and with enough positive experiences to help him change his anxiety behaviour patterns.

Xena Dog Princess and MF like this.
  8. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

There has been so much snow Hubby has evacuated Homer to Annecy to escape the avalanche bombs. Homer's not coping so well as he was, mostly because the bombing has had to be so frequent and all day long. There were Avalanche threats to the town and the ski lifts have been closed all day. Luckily they got out before they closed the roads.

I worry that the more Homer hears the bangs the more he anxious he will become as he begins to anticipate them. Hopefully the sun will come out and they'll be back to chasing snowballs soon.

9. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I had wondered how Homer coped with the storm, I'm sorry to hear that the avalanche clearing is causing him stress :( I hope they enjoy their little sejour in Annecy, lots of lovely walks to be had around the lake.

Jes72 likes this.
  10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Yes, that's what happened with Willow. It was a progressive degeneration.
    After writing a positive post yesterday, Willow had an upset from the ploughs working on the road outside our building. The rumbling goes right through the concrete and she was visibly upset. On the positive side, she would still take roast pork, but not anything lower value, and she wouldn't leave her bed even for the pork.

11. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

He is remarkably good with snow ploughs and a few bangs. If it carries on for too long or is too constant then he can't cope. Luckily hubby has been able to get him away for the worst of it and will stay away tonight too. Biggest snow folks in 20 years! Even the bars closed early!

I was do proud of him the other day.

We were walking along a walking path that had periviously had a piste basher along it, but overnight more snow had fallen. We here happily walking along playing with his Chuck-it ball when over the hill loomed a huge piste basher. The soft snow was nearly a meter high either side of the path so I wasn't sure where to go to get out of his way. He kindly reversed and cut a little wedge in the side if the path for us. Then I realised Homer had dropped his ball, I had to leave him right next to the basher, run along to get his ball or it would be burried in snow for months. Homer just waited and was happy to continue his walk.

12. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer's a venture has come to an end. Hubby brought him back home today.

Too much snow, too many windy snowy storms meant too much avalanche blasting for him. He coped really well with a few bangs but when they were going on all day every couple of days it just got too much for him. He also made huge progress walking around the town, waiting in shops and quiet bars.

He had a lovely time playing in the snow when the weather was good and we have lovely memories of snowy walks.

Photos to follow...

Granca and SwampDonkey like this.
  13. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Photos as promised. 96555FC2-1855-41AB-A8D3-7F4042EC5D08.jpeg
    Snow and yet more snow. F549D9C9-9182-487A-AC4F-DDE8269F1414.jpeg
    A1A0EF0E-2B3C-43A5-90FD-6472E08B1115.jpeg
    Being brave on the bus.
    A3579FFB-7254-4DBA-92E7-F87F9C7265D3.jpeg
    Having fun.
    B5835E3E-A4C8-451B-87BD-B5ECBE9B1C2D.jpeg
    Time to go now. Homer leading Hubby to the underground car park.
    8C621BF2-D6D6-4A5F-A0B0-4CD994D6A3F0.jpeg
    Leaving the snow behind.
    0973FBFD-4383-4D2A-A571-B5B8B163ADF3.jpeg
    On the way home.

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

The snow looks lush.
    Sorry things didn't quite work out as planned but it sounds like Homer had more positives than negatives x

Xena Dog Princess and Jes72 like this.
  15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Sorry Homer's adventure was a little shorter than planned. Will hubby be going back to the slopes, leaving Homer with you?

16. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Yes, Hubby has returned to the snow. Reports of still more big snowstorms so he did the right thing bringing Homer back. So now it's me, Homer and the mud!

We went for a walk and I tried my luck taking him along the main road. We made it all the way to the end, about 5 blocks. Plan to try a bus one stop today.

17. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I'm sorry that Homer's skiing holiday had to come to a slightly early end, but I agree with Jacqui that it sounds like he had much more positive experiences than negative. I hope that you're able to continue building on this - fingers crossed for the bus stop!

Jes72 likes this.
  18. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer went back to France with Hubby on Friday.
    I'm already missing my boys so much.

19. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

20. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

But H more, right? ;)

How much longer will they be away?