Horrid diarrhea...

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Kelsey&Axel, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

:rofl: I was rather graphic wasn't I

2. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

Ajax without warning began having diarrhea episodes beginning in late Jan. We were up every 3 hours at night to let him out to explode. The blessing was that he'd wake us up with a quiet whimper and a nudge of his nose at the bed and not spill himself inside the house. Good dog.

The vet prescribed metronidazole which is incredibly fast and effective. The problem was about 4-5 days after the medicine course was completed he'd start up again. Note: he's been on a raw diet since 2-3 months old. After 6 weeks the vet did a diarrhea panel and while nothing shouted out as the issue 3 areas were slightly elevated but not extreme enough in the vet's opinion to warrant antibiotics. Food challenge was next suggested. With that we learned he has a food intolerance (not an allergy) to raw chicken. And this also means no more chicken necks, backs, or bones, which had been his primary source of calcium. Didn't know this but chicken is the number 1 problem food for dogs. We also cut back on green tripe to just 2 times a weeks rather than every day. Lessoned learned is that dogs can develop, and in our case quite unexpectedly, individual GI problems that may take time (and money) to resolve.

I didn't read all 4 pages of the responses to the OP so I hope your dog has improved.

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yep. Same with Charlie. Had eaten chicken based food since a pup, then just couldn't tolerate it. It doesn't matter (for Charlie) whether it is cooked or raw and it is actually something (we don't know what) in mass produced chicken. Probably a chemical or something fed for growth etc.

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  4. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Axel has a chicken intolerance but his reaction is hives all over his belly and bumps around his eyes. So we do avoid chicken as well.

I did worry it was the new food bag we bought (it's his usual food though) but Odie eats the same food and he didn't have any reaction to it. So I am sure it was just a virus that he picked up at daycare. I called and a few people had called in already saying their dog was sick with diarrhea. I'm glad Odie doesn't seem to have caught it. Famous last words.... :rolleyes:

5. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Oh I hope not, Kelsey.

6. Pennys mom

Pennys mom Registered Users

Glad hes feeling better. Just a note. We did make her plain boiled rice which i added to her food for a while and even gave her the starchy liquid. This did help to tighten things up a bit as well.