House training a 10 week old lab

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Chloe Trotter, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Chloe Trotter

Chloe Trotter Registered Users

Looking for some advice please. We have a 10 week old lab who we are trying to house train. We take her outside regularly but the last day or two she has been peeing in the house, sometimes in her bed and only ten minutes apart. Not sure if she maybe has a uti or if she is just peeing where we cant tell immediately. When we take her outside she always foes toilet and we praise her. She seems to drink quite a lot, more than I think is usual. Not sure what to do or whether to take her to the vets. Any advice appreciated!

2. Christina2807

Christina2807 Registered Users

Have you told her off for peeing in the house? This might be why she is hiding it from you.

We didn't have a garden so had to train on mats to start with. When she had an accident on the carpet we just said 'oh dear' and directed her to a mat pointed and said 'pee pee' - even if she had finished - within the week she was hitting the mats 95+% of the time. Every time she hit the mat she got a treat.

Luna also drank loads when she was that age and we thought she was drinking too much but then put it down to how hot it was - we got her in August this year. It could be the same for you now since the heating will be on.

Remember she is still very young and will be getting used to her new surroundings and settling in.

3. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Registered Users

Hi there, I hate to say it but you've got quite a few more accidents in the house yet! 10 weeks is very young.

I've had 3 labs and none of them were completely accident free before about 4-5 months!

Each time it happened we used a key word, for us this was "wee wee" then calmly picked puppy up and took outside and placed where we wanted her to go, repeating the word. Eventually you'll have no more accidents, try to be calm and consistent and you'll get there.