Housetraining has ground to a halt

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by LindaJ, Jan 29, 2013.

1. LindaJ

LindaJ Registered Users

Jess is almost 5 months old now and is doing very well with almost all aspects of her training. She is keen to learn so I'm sure that the glitch in her housetraining is my fault, not hers. She is fine in her crate if we have to leave her and is obviously capable of hanging on for several hours if necessary. If we are in however, she heads for the back door frequently, sometimes at only half hour intervals or so and if we are not there literally within seconds, she wees on the floor. How can we teach her to hang on until we get there? The back door is in the utility room where her crate and food/water bowls are so I can't understand why she doesn't regard it as part of her den. It is weeks since she has had an accident in the living area of the house so she does seem to know that she should be heading outside to toilet. I would be grateful for advice.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Housetraining has ground to a halt

Hi Linda , if this is fairly recent problem , I would be inclined to get a urine sample and take it to the Vets as it could be a urinary tract infection , very common and also the cause of frequent accidents in the wee dept . Best check first and then you know one way or another .

3. LindaJ

LindaJ Registered Users

Thank you Kate. I hadn't really thought of the possibility of an underlying clinical problem but I will get her checked out. In the meantime, When I do get to the door in time, I am trying to get her to sit and wait at the door for a few seconds before we go outside in exchange for a high value treat - a slice of cooked sausage. When it works, I have a slice too to celebrate!

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh Linda ;D I like that training method!
    Parmesan toast works very well too ;D ;D ;D

jacqui