How can I exhaust my Labrador puppy?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by fujitora47, May 15, 2022.

1. fujitora47

fujitora47 Registered Users

I'm fostering a four-month-old black lab puppy. She has so much energy that even with two persons WFH and constantly playing with her, if she sees us working, she becomes restless and disruptive.

Currently, we take her on four lengthy (20-50 minute) walks per day, with one or two short dog playtimes per day when the park next door has other dogs. We also enforce certain tricks and feed her kibble solely through tricks and positive reinforcement. She has a DIY dog puzzle (muffin tin / box / blanket) and about 12 toys, albeit she prefers only 6 of them. The foster foundation limits the types of toys we may get her, however we're considering getting her a lickimat.

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

That is way way too much exercise for a young puppy. Chances are that she is completely overstimulated. Doing a few minutes of "sit" while you walk a few steps away, heel work etc will be much more mentally tiring and calming for her. Make sure that she has (enforced if necessary) naps throughout the day.

Edp likes this.
  3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

I was going to say similar to @5labs . Maybe focus your training on how to settle, rather than entertain/exhaust. We worked really hard on "go to bed" , it was really worth it. They need to be able to be on their own and relax.