How cold is too cold for lab?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by iconic1, Jan 30, 2019.

1. iconic1

iconic1 Registered Users

I’m hearing about instant frostbite on human skin and it got me wondering... how cold does the weather need to be outside before it’s too dangerous to let a lab out to go potty? Not running around; just do their biz and get back in?

Wind matters?

Thanks.

2. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

I don't think you have to worry about them just going out and coming back in. I had some friends that did a dog sled trip in Alaska, and their was a Lab that ran with the sleds for the whole several day trip. He was a pet, not part of the dog team.

3. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Good question. As you are probably aware, individuals in the northern parts of USA such as Minnesota have been told to avoid breathing through one's mouth.

Perhaps call a vet.

4. CamK

CamK Registered Users

I am one of the lucky Minnesotans experiencing the polar vortex along with two labs and a cat. We are going outside for basically 5-10 minutes at a time. Temp is -27 with windchill -50. Yes wind matters. Uncovered skin on people is prone to frostbite in minutes.

Cat stopped going out completely. Basically the dogs do a loop around the trees, a Zoomie or two, do their business and head to the door.

Normal weather is 0 at this time and then we go for 30 minute walks. In two days when it gets back to normal temps we are gonna go nuts! This is what they are used to. I have added paw wax this year to help cuz we have had so much ice.

The black has lighter fur and gets cold faster. The chocolate rolls in the snow and stays out longer. Mine are house dogs. If they were outside more they would grow thicker fur and could stay outside longer.

As for dog frostbite, it could happen after 15-30 minutes at these temps if I remember right. I could be wrong.

And I don't know what the no mouth breathing and no talking outside is.... Maybe the moisture buildup on your face mask makes ice? We boiled water and threw it in the air and watched it evaporate. Cool!

5. Bud Light/Dilly Dilly

Bud Light/Dilly Dilly Registered Users

That sounds insane! I can't even imagine! I live in a suburb of Los Angeles, about 30 minutes away from the beach.

6. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Thanks for the update. Very interesting. I thought the problem with mouth breathing is the danger of freezing one's lungs.

I can remember walking to work in central Michigan during the depths of winter. The perspiration in my underwear would freeze. But that was in a 'heatwave' compared to what you are currently experiencing. Good luck.

I read that some politicians want Labs to be the national dog of Minnesota. I was surprised. I didn't know states had their chosen dogs.

7. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

My lab expects to go out twice a day for 1-2 mile walk AM and PM. Good for him, good for me. Increasingly colder weather is incremental so being outside for an hour everyday tolerance to the colder air builds up. He's been fine at near 0 degrees BUT yesterday was colder than cold. Even with his wearing snow boots and a buff over his ears it was about 10 minutes for me, not him though I could sense some discomfort. It was -19/-28C and wondered if his warm pee would vaporize on evacuation.

With ice and snow and these temps I suggest boots (Ruffwear). He paws, esp his rears, seemed sensitive when out chasing the frisbee in our present 18" of snow on the ground. Combined with the frigid cold it was particularly noticeable even after 5 minutes. Common sense must prevail. Just observe and be attentive to any change in their behavior and at that point of change inside they should go. Clearly at these ridiculous temps their time outside is severely limited despite what they want. BTW this weekend we're in the 40s.

8. CamK

CamK Registered Users

9. CamK

CamK Registered Users

Oops. Yes that makes sense.

Hadn't heard about the state dog of Minnesota but that makes sense too. Lotsa labs here.

How does one keep the dog boots on? We have a couple buried in the snow in the yard. I guess we will find them in the spring. Lol

Happy winter!

10. CamK

CamK Registered Users

Talk about crazy weather... Today it was 40 above zero. That's a swing of 67 degrees not counting windchill over a couple days.

Found some Mushers paw wax. That stuff is great! Zeke's pads are so much better after just two applications.