How do I know how much raw meat to feed my puppy daily?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by CharleesMommy, Sep 11, 2018.

1. CharleesMommy

CharleesMommy Registered Users

Ive been feeding my chocolate lab puppy raw food with a vitamin supplement and probiotic mixed with cooked vegetables since I got her at 10 weeks. She is 41 pounds now, at 9 months old, and I'm concerned that she's small for a lab. She seems healthy and isn't acting like she's hungry or anything. Ive been feeding her a full pound of raw meat a day, plus vegetables and vitamins. How do I know if it's enough for her?

2. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

Cupar was fed raw from 8 weeks. He had a kilo a day by the time he was 9 months old, split into 3 meals.

My dogs don’t get vegetables of any kind and a healthy dog doesn’t need supplements.

A raw diet for a dog should consist of 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% offal.

A growing pup eats the same foods as an adult, just more of it in relation to size.

Both my dogs diet for a week consists of, beef, lamb, turkey, whole fish( it’s cornish sardines at the moment) about 3 eggs whole including shells and kidney, liver and whatever offal I can get from my butcher. The type of meats they get depends on the time of year, pheasant when in season.

I know you asked how you know if it’s enough but you didn’t mention raw bones. Dogs need the bones for calcium. There are two ways to choose how much to feed a puppy, guess their adult weight and feed 2 to 3 % of that or work on a sliding scale, there is a chart on Ann ridyards raw feeding web page.

As for your pups size, Cupar was a tiny pup, I worried about his size but whether it’s due to not being fed any processed food, he grew slowly, he was at least 18 months before reaching 30 kilos and now stands at 22in. Not big but he’s a nicely built dog with good muscle tone.

lucy@labforumHQ likes this.