how do you stop puppy jumping at children

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sonny Bach, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Sonny Bach

Sonny Bach Registered Users

Our 6 month old black lab keeps jumping at children and pulling their coats sleeves or hoods. When the child pulls away he growls and holds on. We now keep him on a lead but how can we stop him jumping?

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: how do you stop puppy jumping at children

Hi Sonny Bach and welcome to the forum :)

Young Labs can be so exuberant, and often play in a way that doesn't suit us humans! While your dog is only playing and having fun, I am sure that it is not at all fun for you or your children.

Have a read of this article as it has some very relevant advice: http://www.thelabradorsite.com/no-more-jumping-up/

3. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

Little kids giggle and shriek and are nearly irresistible to young puppies!

Rachel sent you a great link...so do read it...but I think really it's a matter of training an acceptable way to greet anyone, and then "proofing" the skill with progressively younger and younger children.

I would think a clicker would be a great tool in this situation, and if they are YOUR kids the pup is playing with, then setting some strict protocol and using those kids in proofing the skill.

let us know how it goes! I've got a wild and crazy 5 month old pup myself...and proofing and practice are the name of the game with "appropriate public interactions" with her too. ;D ;D

4. chrism

chrism Registered Users

I step on Sara's leash so she can't jump up, then invite the child to come over and pat her, with the parent's permission. It's slowly starting to work. Same with adults. If we're out for a walk and some one wants to pat Sara I tell them to wait while I get Sara to sit, then invite them over.
    If sara starts to jump up, I apologize and walk away. ( with Sara :) )

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Welcome to the forum!

If they're random children you meet on walks, I'd start training incompatible behaviours. I'm training mine (also 6 months old) to ignore other people as we walk by them, whatever their age. This is going really well. I started with this because my bitch, Willow, would sometimes bark at people, which I didn't want, so I started clicking as she looked at a person, but before she barked, so she looked back to me for a treat. Now she will automatically look at them, then straight back to me without a click, and keep ignoring them as we walk past.

If it's someone we know, or if it's someone who wants to come and say hi, I ask the dogs to sit and stay sat as the person pets them. Depending on who it is, this is about 75% effective at the moment. We're still working on it :)

It's very difficult when people reward the dog for jumping up, and it's hard for children to ignore an exuberant puppy bouncing around them!

6. Sonny Bach

Sonny Bach Registered Users

Sonny was been on the lead for his walk but didnt meet any children today so may have to visit my 3 nephews to try and train him not to jump.

Will try to put a photo on but keep getting attachment to large

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good idea to enlist the help of some calm and dog-loving children :)