How long should a six month old be able to hold it at night?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by jeanine, Jan 29, 2017.

1. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

As many of you know, Corona has had MANY infections (11, but who's counting) and tummy issues. 2 of these were bladder infections. It has been a long haul getting her to sleep thru the night, some of which were our own fault. She is currently dealing with a stubborn ear infection but it's finally clearing up and she's almost 100% on Acana Pilchard (doing an elimination diet to try and get to the bottom of all her issues). That being said, she is coming along wonderfully EXCEPT she still gets up once thru the night. She sleeps from 10pm until 5-5:30, wakes me up, goes pee and poop, then back to her pillow until my alarm at 6:45. I'm not sure if this has become a habit or if I should try and push her thru to wait until my alarm. I've noticed
    that the furnace kicks on around that time so she probably wakes up initially because of that. But she does GO and it is quick and then back to bed. She goes back to sleep but unfortunately most times I do not. What do you think, am I expecting too much?

2. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I've read complete bladder and sphincter control may not be achieved till six months old. Poor little Corona may not have had the same amount of time to practice and strengthen her muscles and meds can have an affect too. Thinks me it's not a surprise if she isn't quite there yet. Habit and your furnace may play a big part too. Could you try setting the furnace to come on later and see if that helps?

3. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

By 6 months old a dog should quite easily last through the night without needed to go outside. But as you say Corona has had lots of infections and problems which will make it more difficult for her. Homer has started wanting to go out between 3am and 4am, he scratches at his coller until I wake up, then once awake I let him out as I can't ignore the nouse and go back to sleep. I try to lie very still but he knows I'm awake. He will do a poop straight away. Part of me thinks he does need to go, but then he should be able to hold it till morning. It's me that needs more will power to stop his habit of waking me.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I think they are all different.
    It might be worth setting your alarm 15 mins or so before you are getting up right now then gradually draw out the time a little every few day to see if you can get Corona to hold on a little longer?
    I think in humans we call it "bladder re-training" where you gradually get the bladder to hold a little extra over a period of time.
    jac

5. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

That's my dilemma also. She has done an overnight at a boarding facility and made it thru the night just fine, so that tells me that she can. I think it's me that needs more will power. I figure I won't go back to sleep until she goes, so I might as well just get up and get it over with. This way, I know there is no excuse after for her to wait until my alarm. I guess if I don't try though, this will be my fate forever.:confused:

Jes72 likes this.
  6. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

I was thinking of trying this out. This way she gets out of the habit of waking ME up. It seems to work for young puppies , maybe it can work with one a little more set in her ways.

drjs@5 likes this.
  7. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

I guess that would be a great first step. I won't know if I don't try.