How much does your puppy weigh?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rosie, May 14, 2014.

1. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: How much does your puppy weigh?

I think we have quite a lot of heavier labs on the forum, but you haven't been given their weights, so I suspect your chart is a little "light".
    I suspect people with heavier/chunkier and overweight dogs tend to just keep a bit quiet about it, whereas owners of light dogs worry more they are underweight, because they look so different to our usual perception of a lab.
    I completely agree that weight is much less important than appearance, and none of the regular dog photo posters on the forum have any worries about their dogs "weights" because almost all of them look pretty good and healthy :)

2. npcarpenter

npcarpenter Registered Users

Daisy is now 16 weeks and 40 pounds (18 kg). She's gotten so tall and gangly! Her chest is deepening and she has a good tuck-up, but she still needs lots of bulk. Very slender still, though not skinny or ribby.

3. Suthuncat

Suthuncat Registered Users

Hi! Orion is 9.5 months and around 90 pounds / 40.8 kg. If you need his other info, I've kept track of every weigh-in and can provide for mapping. :). He's not chunky at all, quite trim in the waist with a lovely deep chest.

:)

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Gypsy is 15 weeks and 11Kg

I'm really pleased with that as she'd had tummy troubles before she came to me and had a lot of catching up to do. She is 50% Lab 50% Golden Retriever, so not quite lab shaped - note that she doesn't sloppy sit and Tatze still does!

Tatze is 17 months and 28Kg - she has tubbied up since her spay so she's on a little diet, we are aiming for 26Kg, she gets weighed on Monday :)

[​IMG]

lynnew likes this.
  5. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

What a gorgeous picture! Jack and Barney are 16 weeks and weigh 12.kg and 12.2kg. They are quite gangly and Jack looks a bit skinnier than Barney but i think it's because he has a thinner snout. They have gained 9kg each in the 8 weeks we've had them, so i think they are doing alright :D

6. MontysMum

MontysMum Registered Users

My little Monty has been 6.5kgs for a week, he is 12 weeks now. You can just slightly see his ribs, are we not feeding him enough? He has Burns puppy dry food and I measure 200g as it's says into four meals a day. He also has this as treats while training.

Does this mean he'll be a small lab?

7. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

[quote author=MontysMum link=topic=5965.msg107719#msg107719 date=1410091907]
    My little Monty has been 6.5kgs for a week, he is 12 weeks now. You can just slightly see his ribs, are we not feeding him enough? He has Burns puppy dry food and I measure 200g as it's says into four meals a day. He also has this as treats while training.

Does this mean he'll be a small lab?
    [/quote]

We used to feed Burns to our pup, when he grew a bit lanky he also got a bit thin,you could clearly see his ribs, apparently not uncommon on Burns puppy food but that of course could just be hearsay :) We swapped to another feed, and within a couple of weeks on approx 2/3rds of the recommended amount he bulked up nicely, developed a beautiful shiny coat. This may have just been a stage in his growth however. He is now a perfect weight for his size (nearly 11 months old ) well muscled and very fit

8. Suthuncat

Suthuncat Registered Users

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=5965.msg107659#msg107659 date=1410071179]
    note that she doesn't sloppy sit and Tatze still does!
    [/quote]

hahaha my orion does that too, and to make it even funnier, sometimes he fully extends his outer leg WHILE doing the sloppy sit... so he looks quite ballerina-ish!!! ;D

9. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

Hollie's weight:

Gusto
    6.2kg at 9weeks
    7.2kg at 10 weeks
    7.6 kg at 101/2 weeks
    Simpsons
    9.5kg at 13 weeks
    10.2kg at 14 weeks
    10.7kg at 15 weeks
    Skinners
    11.3kg at 16 weeks
    12.4kg at 17 weeks
    12.5kg at 18 weeks
    13kg at 19 weeks

Think this is ok, she looks healthy enough

X

10. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

[quote author=Holliesmum link=topic=5965.msg107975#msg107975 date=1410191035]
    Hollie's weight:

6.2kg at 9weeks
    7.2kg at 10 weeks
    7.6 kg at 101/2 weeks

We feed her 300grams into 4 meals a day of gusto puppy food (breeders food) we give her half an hour to eat and most meals she eats it all.

Think this is ok, she looks healthy enough

X
    [/quote]
    My two clear their bowls in 60 seconds!! They are on 3 meals of 130g and I think they could eat three meals in one go lol x

11. Granca

Granca Registered Users

More statistics! Mine were both weighed last week: Wispa (3 in November) was 25.25kg, Tuppence (a year old next weekend) 24.85kg. The vet is very happy with both of them!

12. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Bouncer was last weighed at 7 weeks old & was 3.5 kilos.

13. dosh

dosh Registered Users

meg was wieghed at vet this morning,she is 20kg 20

14. gordon

gordon Registered Users

Whisky (my gorgeous red fox male lab) got weighed today at the vets. He is 17 weeks old and weighs 17.4 kgs. The vet tells me is going to be a big boy and is the perfect shape. He has a defined waist and you can feel his ribs when you stroke him. I still lift him in and out of the car when I take him to the river or the seaside so I must be strong ::) ::)

Edited to add previous weights:
    9 weeks 6.4kg (when we got him)
    13 weeks 13.1kg
    17 weeks 17.4kg

15. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Chepi 19 weeks 14 kg

16. Nicmorris

Nicmorris Registered Users

Hi All,
    I haven't been around for a good few weeks, I neer seem to have any spare time lately!
    Nellie was weighed last Wednesday at 19 weeks and was 17.7kgs! :eek:
    I was a tad worried I was over feeding her and ask everyone if she looks a bit porky but all say she looks fine.
    I think she may be a big girl!

17. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Hi Nic, I haven't been around much either; nice to hear from you. How about a photo of Nellie now?

18. MontysMum

MontysMum Registered Users

I'm really worried as our pup is 13 weeks and weighs only 6.5kg.....does it just mean he is a small lab? I'm in the process of changing his food over from Burns to Arden to see if that makes a difference.[/img]

19. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

As a very, very rough guide, it used to be said, that many young Labrador puppies will weigh around about a kilo for every week of their lives. I find that working bred puppies are usually a little lighter than this. But it is a rough guide. So you would expect a ten week old Labrador puppy might weigh something in the region of ten kilos or around twenty-two pounds.

Rachael, who is on the small side as an adult, weighed 6.3Kilos at 8 weeks, and 8.3 Kilos at 12 weeks. Tess, who is quite tall as an adult, weighed just 5 kilos at 8 weeks and 8.5 kilos at 12 weeks. So at 12 weeks, they both weighed a third less than might be expected. I only know this because it is on their vaccination record. I almost never, weigh my dogs :) Both were/are raw fed.

As you can see from the posts here, there is huge variety and range in the weight of perfectly healthy puppies. And weight is a very poor way to judge health because of this huge range in healthy weights.

But having said that if a puppy is a lot less or a lot more than the very, very (very) rough guide above, it is always worth having a check with the vet. Just to make sure all is well
    If my dog at 13 weeks weighed half of the expected average (13 kilos) then I think I would be asking why. The chances are the dog is just naturally small. But no harm in chatting to the vet for reassurance.

20. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Just weighed Bouncer myself, just stood on the scales, took a reading, then picked him up & took it again. Then my wife tried it. I made it 4 kilos, the wife made it 6 kilos.

I am not saying a word.

;)