How much exercise for 8month old puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Huey2019, May 13, 2020.

1. Huey2019

Huey2019 Registered Users

Hi All

Huey is 8.5months now working type Labrador with boundless energy. We have been very careful not to over exercise he has one walk a day broadly in line with the 5 min rule (some days slightly more but it’s included time to sniff/time to watch the world go by/settle (or attempt to!) with distraction) then 2-3 play/training sessions in the garden/house and a kong or a healthy chew for some mental stimulation he seems v happy but his energy demands are growing. He is a bit of a teenage terror at times but nothing that is out of the ordinary for this age from what I have read on this site I.e some jumping and grabbing of coats and ridiculous zoomies when he returns from a walk. He tears around like crazy when he is off lead and runs so fast he has a blast but I constantly worry about his joints he is so fast! He will calm after about 10-15 mins and then sniff/slow down and walk with us/ explore. We will alternate so if he has had a walk one day usually about 45 mins where he has run a lot (We are not running with him I know he is too hound for that he will be off lead and run ahead or play in the field/park) the next day we will do some lead training and sniffing and garden play/ training. He usually naps for a couple of hours in the middle of the day and then sleeps around 8pm will wake up for a mad half hour before bed.

What I am confused about is the 5 min per month guideline is this once or twice a day? I’ve read conflicting guidelines some suggest it is one a day others up to twice.

He is our first pup and like all just want to make sure we are doing the best for him and not over exercise but also make sure he has enough. So in a really long winded way my questions are

- is the 5 min rule up to twice a day or should it be once a day or is it total exercise.
    - How much did you do/do you do with your labs this age ie do they go out twice?
    - as we are not running with him (we know we shouldn’t and I won’t until he’s fully grown), and it is on his terms should I calm down and not worry about his joints every time he is tearing around when he’s off lead/the mad zoomie sessions? I will try to calm him with a shuffle/sniff out of some sprats when we get back from a walk or if we are on a walk but he’ll do that then tear off again!

Thank you for taking the time to read this essay

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there, it sounds as though you are being very sensible and considerate of your puppy's joints. I don't think you should worry about him running around when he is off leash. He needs to do this. Some experts have expressed concerns about exercise that involves rapid deceleration, and you should try to avoid him jumping over and down from heights until his joint are mature.

Just like people, dogs need aerobic exercise but not necessarily for a set amount of time every single day. One of the best reasons for going out with your dog each day is to keep you in the habit of it, rather than because its essential. There are also many forms of exercise. Energy and crazy times are not necessarily related to exercise or lack of it. Some dogs are just more 'wired' than others.

The five minute rule really is a rough daily guide aimed mainly at stopping people grossly over-exercising young dogs by taking them on five mile runs, or hiking holidays. It's a good guide but it isn't evidence based or set in stone. And the forty minutes a day that rule allocates to your dog can be split into two twenty minute walks. But your dog still needs additional off leash freedom when he can run around and play.

It sounds like you are doing great, try not to worry :)

Huey2019 likes this.
  3. Huey2019

Huey2019 Registered Users

Thank you for taking the time to read and for your helpful comments Pippa