How much sleep 12 week old pup

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by NLchoclab, Aug 9, 2022.

1. NLchoclab

NLchoclab Registered Users

Hi there
    We got a schedule from the breeder of our pup, which is:
    wake and feed at 7am,
    crate at 10am
    Wake and feed at 12
    Crate at 2pm
    Wake and feed at 4.
    Then last pee break at 11pm.

But we can't get Joos to 11pm. He is usually tired by 6pm. He is quiet in his crate, but awake when I go in to get him out. He seems exhausted. We picked him up on Sunday and yesterday and today we have put him down to nap around 7-8pm in his crate ... since he couldn't keep his eyes open

Looking for advice -especially from others using a crate schedule and working 5 days a week (one of us from home)

We are new to puppies and are quite worried

Thank you
    Carolyn

2. NancyB

NancyB Registered Users

My pup needed a lit of sleep at that age too. I found it very beneficial for both him and I to follow quite a strict schedule of about an hour of exercise and play followed by about 2-2.5 hours in the crate. This schedule really helped keep him from getting over stimulated. He would go to sleep for the night at about 9:30pm and sleep right through to 6:30am. He's now 15 months and goes to bed a bit later, around 10:30pm but still sleeps through to 6:30am.

3. NLchoclab

NLchoclab Registered Users

Thank-you for the response! Very helpful (and emotionally supporting, too)

4. Karen and Toby

Karen and Toby Registered Users

I’m late to this (and new to the forum) but in case it helps: Toby is 13 weeks and sleeps from around 7:30pm to 7am. I wake him at 9:30pm for his last pee and he goes straight back to sleep.

Even with sleeping during the day, there is no way he could stay awake until 11pm. I would say to trust your gut that it’s too late for your puppy. They need loads of sleep at this age.

5. Roheryn

Roheryn Registered Users

Also late to this. My 12.5 week old lab gets up between 6 and 6:30 for a toilet trip, has free playtime and some training until breakfast at 7 then back in her crate. Lunch at 1 and dinner at 7. She’s mainly crated or in a pen during the day. I have regular training and play breaks with her but she’s not good at settling so does go back in her crate when she needs sleep or she turns into a bitey gremlin. Puppies should sleep between 18-20 hours a day and, when they’re very young an hour or so awake at a time is enough. I often have to wake her up for a last trip to the garden and then she goes back to sleep happily.