How often is your lab sick ?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Reuben, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Reuben

Reuben Registered Users

Little bit worried that Reuben keeps vomiting every few weeks. I think the majority of the time, he makes himself sick by excessive licking his fur at night. Sometimes it's aversion to certain foods. He is fed on Arden grange kibble. I prefer kibble because his poo is easier to manage and smells less. He is given sardines and meat cuts from time to time but not that regularly. Also meatpaste and frozen peanut butter in kongs.

I was just wondering on average how often peoples labs are sick, if this could be a developing problem ? Should I start researching different diet?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: How often is your lab sick ?

When he is sick, is it just the once or does he keep being sick a few times each time ? I think, if it were me and this had only begun to happen fairly recently , I would fist take him to the Vets for a check up, just for peace of mind and then, if all is well, you can start a process of elimination re the foods that may be causing it , good luck :)

3. NNorris13

NNorris13 Registered Users

I know how you feel. Dexter was sick New Year's Eve, then again New Year's Day and then about a week later and I was worried :(

I'm keeping an eye on it but I find he eats his food so quick sometimes then runs round like crazy, it must sit heavy. Also the last time was he sick he basically ate part of his bed cover (its a long story) so his stomach rejected it thankfully!

I'd just keep an eye on it and maybe see if there's a certain food or even a certain pattern that forms before he's sick.

4. Reuben

Reuben Registered Users

[quote author=kateincornwall link=topic=3982.msg46125#msg46125 date=1389453479]
    When he is sick, is it just the once or does he keep being sick a few times each time ? I think, if it were me and this had only begun to happen fairly recently , I would fist take him to the Vets for a check up, just for peace of mind and then, if all is well, you can start a process of elimination re the foods that may be causing it , good luck :)
    [/quote]

It's only really once most of the time, it's every 3 weeks or so. My last dog hardly ever threw up, so we have no basis for comparison. I think he just has a bit of a sensitive tummy, not sure.

5. Reuben

Reuben Registered Users

[quote author=NNorris13 link=topic=3982.msg46128#msg46128 date=1389454379]
    I know how you feel. Dexter was sick New Year's Eve, then again New Year's Day and then about a week later and I was worried :(

I'm keeping an eye on it but I find he eats his food so quick sometimes then runs round like crazy, it must sit heavy. Also the last time was he sick he basically ate part of his bed cover (its a long story) so his stomach rejected it thankfully!

I'd just keep an eye on it and maybe see if there's a certain food or even a certain pattern that forms before he's sick.
    [/quote]

No idea. I will keep an eye on it. We don't give him scraps or anything since cream cheese disagreed with him months ago.

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

My dog is very rarely sick; mostly only when she has been wormed. My old dog was a dreadful vomiter - really sensitive stomach, but he lived to 14. As Kate says, get him checked out by the vet to make sure he hasn't got any parasites or an underlying issue, but hopefully it's nothing serious - they are all different!

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I agree with the suggestions of a vet visit.

For the record, Obi vomits very rarely.

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Not a regular vomit-er here either.
    Like Karen, though, noticed upset tums more likely after wormers, often a brownish slightly stinky vomit.