How old was your puppy when it was house trained?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by KirbyHawk75, May 9, 2018.

1. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That’s what I tried to say but you put it much better.

The best way to cope is to not worry about it at all.

Watch the pup, yes. Take him/her out when they have eaten, played, slept, had a drink etc. Take him/her out when s/he sniffs or circles. Have cut up puppy pads ready for no fuss clearing up of puddles.

It’s all part of puppy parenting :)

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My niece decided not to potty train her twins until they were two and a half years old. She said ‘it’s all about bladder maturity anyway, I can’t be bothered with the fuss’. So she chose a nice week weather wise, got out the potties - and presto, they were potty trained in two days.

Wise girl :)

snowbunny likes this.
  3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Sorry don't know why that happened.
    What I was trying to say that the don't fuss just relax approach seems to work on a,lot if other things too. I'm vigilante careful but find not stressing myself or the pup works best.

selina27 likes this.
  5. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

What a very sensible young woman, three cheers for her!

6. GaryC

GaryC Every day is a school day with a Lab pup.

About 12 to 16 weeks was the odd accident, since then pretty good. Just over 7 months now.

7. Wilson's Mum

Wilson's Mum Registered Users

Wilson was around 14 weeks when I could comfortably say he was house trained. We've had great weather and have been able to have the door to the garden open, if the doors closed for any reason he'll try and push it open, not necessary for a wee, sometimes just to run around. At the start we took him out every 1/2 hour and the slowly increased the time. I refused to have puppy pads in the house, which I think helped the process. When he first came home he was in a box next to the bed for a little over a week and then we moved him to a crate downstairs. I would get up every couple of ours to let him out, but half the time he didn't want to go. Every night I pushed the length of time of getting up to take him out until he was going all night with out needing a wee. I now get up before he does in the morning, open his crate and leave him to come out in is own time. He now waits until his morning walk before he goes for a wee. During the day he's left for 2 - max 3 hours and has had no accidents. I would say that every dog is different and they learn at their own pace. You do have to put the hard work of training in, but the rewards are worth it.

8. Keithmac

Keithmac Registered Users

Same here, we were very lucky with Honey as she was already used to sleeping in a crate and she was house trained.

By 10 weeks she was sleeping through (10.30pm to 5.30 / 6 pm).

At 15 weeks she sleeps in 'till 6.30am or later.

MF likes this.
  9. Kobe

Kobe Registered Users

This was our experience as well. Puppy at 8 weeks knew to tell us he wanted out to toilet...it just took us a week or two to know what he was telling us! By 12 wks we figured it out.
    He had one accident last week at 5mo but our fault. We had been out for 2 hrs, came home and put shopping away, played with him, started cooking dinner, got distracted and forgot to let him out. It had probably been 4 hrs eek. Anyway he peed on the floor but only enough to relieve the pressure - when I noticed it, he was still holding the rest to finish outside.
    But really, credit goes to the breeder for his training, not to us.

MF and edzbird like this.
  10. christina2634

christina2634 Registered Users

Hang in there. I feel your pain. Diggy is 6 months and still has accidents A LOT. But we've seen significant improvement over the last month or so. He knows the right thing to do, but sometimes his little bladder creeps up on him and he just can't make it. Its very frustrating, but it'll get better.

11. iconic1

iconic1 Registered Users

Not what you want to hear but...Home at 9 weeks and up and running at 11 weeks, I swear. Had him ringing bell to go out not much longer after. One accident indoors in his 3 years (and it was our fault). These dogs are super smart but you must be persistent, very attentive, patient, and consistent and if they’re food motivated, well, you’re set. Mine would swim the English Channel for one piece of kibble.

My advice? Don’t wait for signs. They go out, often, and you stand there (sometimes in the pouring rain) until they go. AND it’s not time for games. Also, I work at a boarding kennel and highly recommend (please!) you teach them commands to “go potty” and “go poop” (or similar). It makes life easier for all!

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.