How to cope with aging Labrador

Discussion in 'Senior Labradors' started by Richard Curls, May 29, 2018.

1. mom2labs

mom2labs Registered Users

I totally understand how you feel. Our oldest black lab Harley just turned 11. He has been such a great dog and we love him like you do your dog and we think often about the day we lose him, I can't even imagine what that day will feel like. I hope you and us have a lot more healthy years with our loved ones.

2. Richard Curls

Richard Curls Registered Users

Hello Naya, thank you for your lovely message. It definitely sounds like you feel the same way about Harley as I do about Shadow. You are so right about not focusing on living life without our babies. I never used to even think about it until Shadow got real sick. Although she was 12, she still jumped in the car and got along like she always had. She could not do these things anymore almost overnight, and all of the sudden I was bombarded with all of these emotions that I was not near ready for. I have been reaching out to people like you who share these same feelings and how you cope with it. I am trying to learn new positive ways of thinking about my situation. It is such a hard thing to do. Take care, and kisses to Harley!

Naya likes this.
  3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hello Richard, Hattie is my first dog and I love her unconditionally, she is my best friend and has seen me through some very sad and rough times. We have a very special bond. She is almost 11 years old and thankfully in excellent health, she is also a Pets as Therapy Dog and she brings much joy to lots of people, but I know of course that one day she won't be with me and of course I can't stand to think about it. I spend my time with her doing the things we enjoy, long walks, playing, cuddling with her, having her at the heart of my family. We should try living for the now and not think too much into a future without our dogs. Don't waste precious time dwelling on the inevitible but enjoy every single precious moment and make lots of happy memories that will see you through. The very best thing we can all do is give our beloved dogs the very best life we can, shower them with love and happiness and they will return that love 1000 fold. Enjoy Shadow every single second. xxx

4. Richard Curls

Richard Curls Registered Users

Hello Charlie, and thank you for sharing yours and Hatties story with me. Your message really reflects your love for Hattie. As I write this reply, I have Shadow by my side and there is no better feeling in the world. She is doing good today and my spirit is flying in the clouds! My whole life is connected to Shadow. I have never had a more complete feeling in my life than when I am with her. I cherish every moment and just wish I could freeze time so I could enjoy the moment forever. Thank you for introducing yourseld and Hattie to me! It sounds like we have so many things in common. Hugs to Hattie and God bless you both.

5. Felice Hardy

Felice Hardy Registered Users

There is nothing sadder than losing a beloved dog. I didn't get over my old lab's death for such a long time. However, it really helps getting a new puppy who takes up all your time and attention.

jacquelina likes this.
  6. jacquelina

jacquelina Registered Users

hello, I have been through it with my boy I thought my heart would break in 2, he was the most calm faithful being I have ever known, he went over to rainbow bridge on 10th may age 11, I joined a grief forum to help me through those dark days, my heart was broken, I got threw it, I got strength in knowing that dogs are only here for a limited time and while he was here I had the greatest honour of sharing his life with me. Know you are not alone in how you feel. Talking to people who understand does help, prays for you and your sweet girl.

edzbird likes this.