1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

How to deal with constant zoomies without overexercising? limit

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Shanti, Aug 10, 2018 at 8:11 AM.

1. Shanti

Shanti Registered Users

Hi guys. Our 11 week old 'sprolliedor' puppy seems to have really frequent and long lasting zoomies. During the zoomies she snatches everything she can reach, ignores us or bites at us. More worryingly, she jumps around and on and off things in a way that could damage her joints. We think she's going stir crazy from being in the house so much - we've taken her out and about in our arms but it's still three more days before we can take her for a walk.

2. Shanti

Shanti Registered Users

Oops I must have hit send before finishing that post. One of the (expensive) thing she does mid-zoomies is tear up the pee pads.

Several sources suggest that frequent zoomies can be to do with stress caused by inactivity, and long frequent walks are suggested but how can we do this when the advice is to limit a puppy's walks to 5 mins per month of her age, twice a day, to protect her joints?

We do play games with her in the house, including 'brain stimulation' games, and do training exercises (sit, stay, come, lie down). She had the zoomies for about four hours yesterday evening, then again at night for about two hours, and now this morning for over an hour. She seems really off the wall.

On the other hand a trainer at our puppy class suggested that her zoomies in the late evening are caused by overtiredness. We just can't seem to get it right!

3. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there, and welcome to the forum :). Do you have a garden or outdoor yard that your puppy can run about it when she is brimming with energy? It does sound as though she is getting very over-excited - you'll find some information on dealing with that in this thread: Over Excited Puppies

4. Shanti

Shanti Registered Users

Thank you, Pippa. I'll have a look. I think I may have read every single article you've written on this and other sites!

We do have a roof terrace, but in the recent heatwave the ground was too hot to let her out there during most of the day. Do you think taking her out for 15 minute walks (from next Monday) will help? She's relatively calm when she's just with me, but my husband only has to appear for her to get very excited and when he sits on the sofa she jumps up at him all the time and bites him (in play, but annoyingly). She also gets excited after every elimination! She responds better to training exercises than to games. We adore her but we're at our wits' end.

5. RobbieD1506

RobbieD1506 Registered Users

Hiya, we have a 12 week gorgeous pup. Not really advice but just to reassure you that we’re exactly the same. We have our crazy moments in the evening just as we’re trying to watch tv(!) but a baby gate has helped to give him time out. It’s hard not to scream when he bites but we found this just excited him more so have started calmly withdrawing our attention or placing him over the baby gate which might take a couple of go’s but does eventually kick in! We’ve just started waking him too but he’s still having these crazy moments and we’re akso worried we’re overexercising him (two 15 min walks a day and lots of play in the garden). This forum is fab though because reading other people’s experiences it seems like it’s just normal puppy behaviour - just persevere with it! Everyone says it gets better!!

EmmaHughes likes this.
  6. Shanti

Shanti Registered Users

Thank you! Yes, it definitely helps to know we're not alone!

7. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

I hesitate to say this because it could be misinterpreted :). BUT, in my family at least, male family members in particular, do seem to get dogs (and kids ! ) over excited and this SEEMS to be because of their enthusiasm for rough housing. :). Or at least for a more 'physical' approach to playing with a puppy. If you can persuade your husband to a more 'hands off' way of interacting with your pup, I suspect you might see some improvements.
    I don't generally subscribe to the 'wear them out' school of thought. So no, I wouldn't try to fix this with more exercise, with the proviso that overly confining a puppy (too much crate/leash time) is probably a source of problems in some homes.

Let us know what you think and how you get on. It's a challenging time for all new puppy parents so hang on in there :)

selina27 likes this.