How to determine if I've already read/commented on thread

Discussion in 'Technical & Help' started by Lisa, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I'm not sure if I titled this topic right, but here's my nagging question/comment. Usually if I have read/commented on a topic, the topic title changes from dark blue to light blue. Am I right on that? Because it seems like sometimes I read all the way to the end of a thread, and then the next time I'm on the forum I'll see the title is dark blue, so I'll go read it again, but the last comment is still the same as the last time I read it. So no new activity, in other words. Shouldn't the title being showing up as light blue for me? Is this a glitch, or am I not understanding something? I don't know why, but this whole thing of figuring out what is new and what isn't is the hardest thing for me since the switch to the new forum. I feel like I'm missing a lot, somehow....

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I hand t even noticed Lisa but glad you've mentioned it .....I rely solely on memory...and that's not either a great or efficient method so if there is an indicator ...and it's reliable that would be a big help.....Sometimes if I've been away a little while ,especially for Intros that I never like to miss ,I have to scroll through the whole post to check I've acknowledged....brain isn't what it used to be! X

3. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

I noticed we don't have a the colour thingy under our name, they are all just white now! How are we meant to know what super hero cape we're on? :rolleyes:

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

5. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Oh, good question!! Inquiring minds want to know.....

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I believe the bar under our names shows how many infractions we have (black marks), but we've decided not to use that system since, well, we're not in a playground ;) I could be wrong, though. I could try and dish out an infraction to test it out - who wants to be caned? ;)

Personally, I use the 'latest topics", which is on the right when you click 'home'. Then I go find my last post and everything before that is new to me. The "New Topics" link at the top is a bit flaky.

7. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

So, the way I use the forum now is to go straight to my notifications (click on the "Messages" button at the top of the screen). That shows any new posts on threads that I'm "subscribed" to. Whenever you post a message, you are automatically subscribed to that thread, so this is a pretty easy way to go straight to new messages. The only thing is you need to go back to your "Messages" list at the end of your forum browsing session and "dismiss" all the notifications that you've acted on.

Does that help?

Rosie

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I liked it when not every post was in 'new topics' just the topics which had new posts. The way it is now I miss stuff as you have to go back quite a few pages to find where you were up to.

9. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

10. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

So, if I may be so bold, what does the dark blue indicate? I can't quite figure it out. New thread, yes, but why is it still dark blue, and therefore supposedly "new" even after I've looked at it? Because that happens, sometimes. I thought for awhile it meant "new post on this one", but then I'd go to it and see the same last post as I saw before. Hmm......

11. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

To be quite honest, I don't think we can get too caught up in how certain aspects of the vBulletin software work, or how they're supposed to work. It is sadly a little bit flaky and inconsistent. I've done a fair amount of reading around it, and there seem to be quite a few issues. I think the main problem is that they've made a very complicated piece of software - more complicated than necessary - without enough thought or resources behind it.

At face value, it looked like a great improvement over the original forum, and in some ways that is true, but there are these niggles which do sadly leave a bit of a bad taste in your mouth.

12. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Good to know that I'm not going crazy then! Ok, will just file this under one of those mysteries of life and move on. I thought maybe I was missing something,,,,