How to get a REALLY glossy coat??

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Loopyloo30, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Hi everyone it's been a while since I posted, I hope everyone is OK.

The reason I'm posting is that there is a local dog show next weekend, and I want to enter Bob into the Handsomest Dog competition! I'm stupidly excited about it... I've ordered him a new collar and everything! Anyway, what is the best way to get his black coat looking really really shiny? It's in wonderful condition anyway, but I"m sure there are some tricks to really bring out the shine!

Thanks,
    Louise xx

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

How exciting! :)

I'd introduce some oily fish into his diet, like tinned sardines. My dog has a tin each night for dinner. Also, brush your dog all over every day (this helps distribute skin oils over the coat to the tips of the fur). A few days before the event, wash him in a quality shampoo and conditioner (not the day before or he'll be too bouffant looking). On the day brush well and finish off with a piece of sheep skin (wool side), silk or a softish horsehair horse brush to really bring up the shine (must be a natural fibre).

Good luck! :)

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Think Rachael knows her stuff....must be that horsey knowledge kicking in.
    Was going to suggest coconut oil but I guess sardines pretty good :cool:

4. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Hi Louise, I think it's great I'd be excited I can't wait until I can enter Mabel into such competitions. She is missing 3 this year because of her surgery but at least we had something to aim for. I have this thing about winning rosettes. Must be something lacking from my childhood . I'm sure he'll look gorgeous on the day. Don't forget to post a photo or two. Good luck.
    Definitely feed oily fish, it's good for their joints too.
    Xx

5. Loopyloo30

Thanks everyone will start giving Bob some sardines from now on then and brush him like mad :) Yes I'll try and post up some pics after the show. I'm so excited!!!! xxx

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

We entered our first show today only a fun show, but some pretty serious competitors......with Benson...never, ever again! :eek::rolleyes::eek::eek:

7. Loopyloo30

tee hee! oh dear!

I think I might have set my bar a bit high with Bob.. we'll see. There are loads of games we can try as well as the class... one of them is called temptation alley!!! I'm thinking 'not a chance in hell' but am secretly keen to give it a go to see what he does LOL! Need to make sure I've got my sense of humour hat on I think!

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, good luck Bobbert! How brave - there's a "fun" dog show a little way from here in a couple of weeks that I'm going to take mine to, but for observation only! Good luck in everything. I was wondering if you could massage a bit of coconut oil into his skin and coat?

9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Salmon oil - two squidges on each meal = glossy glossy glossy :)

10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Whatever you do, we NEED to see Bob doing Temptation Alley.

11. Beanwood

Oh yes...have you seen the one that has gone viral on youtube with the fabulous golden retriever? It had me in fits of laughter watching it :)

12. Beanwood

Found it! Kinda makes a glossy coat quite arbitrary.....enjoy! :) :)

[video=youtube;5iTTNRE-njM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iTTNRE-njM[/video]

13. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

I'v heard of a raw egg weekly help bring shine to coat but not sure if it's true .

14. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My two have salmon oil every day plus two raw eggs a week and Willow, who is black, has a lovely glossy coat. Shadow's coat is very soft, but being yellow, he doesn't shine in the same way. I couldn't say what it was down to in particular, though, because I've almost always done that. The salmon oil definitely cleared up some dry skin that Willow was suffering from, though, so there's certainly dermatological benefits there.

15. David

David Registered Users

Just a good brush here and well polished fox pooh!

16. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

:D ha ha that Golden Retriever had the tears rolling down my cheeks.

Salmon oil here too.

17. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Loved the video! I have not heard of salmon oil for dogs, interesting! Chepi has the occasional tin of mackeral in water but mostly has kibble and she gets lots of comments about her coat. I know what you mean though, there's shiny and then there's liquid ebony. Good luck :)

18. Loopyloo30

Ha ha YES I'll get my boyfriend to video us... it's going to go horribly wrong I know, but if I accept it now, then it won't bother me too much I guess! My philosophy, is think the worst and you will either get what you expected or at least have a pleasant surprise LOL!

Yes I saw that video of the GR it's hysterical! Bless him he was in HEAVEN!

Thanks for all the good luck wishes! No collar yet it better bloody hurry up and arrive soon! He's getting a sardine for breakfast everyday now. Do you buy salmon oil specially for dogs?

19. Loopyloo30

ooh I've just remembered, I met I met a lady once who said to wipe a velvet cloth over their coats - will try and locate some. She said it worked like magic.

20. Loopyloo30

Fiona - I like this idea.. eggs are so good for you. Do you substitute the eggs for a normal meal or is it a cheeky extra on top?!