How to manage meeting reactive dog?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Helen1977, May 3, 2017.

1. Helen1977

Helen1977 Registered Users

A lady who lives near me has a border collie that we have met twice walking locally. The owner both times has shouted from a distance "it's ok, he is friendly, he just wants to play". Our first encounter was with both dogs on leads- they very briefly sniffed each other before this dog growled, Lucy immediately submitted and it held her down on the ground. The owner pulled her dog off, again said he just wants to play and that was that.

Today both dogs were off lead when we met- I immediately called Lucy and put her on the lead, however this dog was quite a way ahead of its owner and lay down on the track- again she shouted to me he is friendly, just wants to play etc and showed no sign of attempting to put her dog on the lead or call it back. I had to go past her so I let Lucy off the lead (probably the wrong thing to do but I thought she had more chance of getting away if it went for her). The dog lay on the path and as we got close it got up to say hello, again had a very brief sniff and then growled and pinned Lucy(who was submitting to it) against the fence. The owner pulled it away and told it to "play nicely", it barked and continued to growl at Lucy and we quickly headed off on our way. I'm not sure if her dog is nervous and reactive, dominant or aggressive but it was not a playful interaction as far as I was concerned. Lucy is a very friendly but submissive puppy (6 months), does not go jumping in other dogs faces so I don't think she caused the dog to react this way.

Aside from avoiding the woods completely, how would you deal with this? She clearly believes her dog is "just wanting to play" and on both occasions has neither apologised or seemed worried about her dogs behaviour. Lucy is my first dog so I may well be over reacting, but I don't want her getting hurt or becoming scared of other dogs. I thought next time I meet this lady I will ask her to put her dog on the lead, but if she doesn't am I best keeping Lucy on the lead, off it or picking her up? Any tips appreciated!

2. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

This is likely the wrong advice, but when I could still pick Quinn up, I would. I didn't want any negative experiences when she was a puppy - but I would also stop walking in this area or at the same time that you have been running into this dog. Can you walk at a different time of day? If I saw them coming, I would turn and walk the opposite direction to avoid them.

Also, I have no time for people who say their dog is friendly when obviously it is not and tell them so. This dog may simply not like puppies even if it plays well with other dogs. I have many times, leashed Quinn and left situations I didn't like. I have also moved between Quinn and other dogs and shooed them away. Usually they head back to their owners.

Helen1977 likes this.
  3. Helen1977

Thanks. I have met her early and late afternoon, think I will stick to mornings and hopefully avoid her all together. I know another Dog walker who has had similar interactions with this dog so I don't think it's just puppies unfortunately. It would be difficult to turn around as it is a circular walk so they would be chasing me around! I can comfortably pick Lucy up, she is only 12kg, so maybe picking her up and getting quickly past would be the best option.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'd deal with it by that dog having to get through me and a sharp ended walking stick before it got within 10m of my dogs again!

Both my dogs are pretty robust and both get themselves out of trouble and leave if other dogs are ill mannered. But I never deliberately put them in the position of having to do it, my dogs have overwhelmingly positive experiences, so they can cope when things don't go well - I think a large part of that is that I never risk them if there is any doubt, I step in.

Helen1977 likes this.
  5. Helen1977

That makes me feel better as I was worried I was making a fuss over nothing. I have a walking stick I will take with me and use if needed! I'm not sure Lucy would be able to get herself out of trouble so clearly I need to stop her from getting in that situation again. Thank you.

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

A dog can't walk through a walking stick. Hold your dog behind you (it's best the dog has learned a 'behind' cue but you probably haven't done that) and point a walking stick at the approaching dog. Just concentrate on pointing your stick at the chest of the dog. You don't need to attack the dog etc. just stop it approaching. If it dodges round you, drop the stick and concentrate on getting a hold of its collar. Hold your dog in one hand, and the other dog in the other, and shout at the owner to come get her bl**dy dog.

So, there is a risk with this. People will tell you the owner might be annoyed, the other dog might be collar reactive, blah blah - I'm sure you can imagine the risks. Personally, I always take them.

Tori_lizzie and MF like this.
  7. Helen1977

Thanks, we have started training the behind cue at training classes so will practice this. Feel much better having some sort of plan for how to deal with this next time.

JulieT likes this.
  8. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

I have a similar situation with a dog that runs about 50m away from its owner to attack my dog.

I do what JulieT suggested - hold my dog by the harness close behind me, and use the other hand to keep the other dog away. I find if I don't hold on to Lucky, he gets to the side of me and then the other dog can reach him. I find just holding out a hand flat in a stay position and saying "hey" in a stern voice keeps the other dog back until the owner comes.

I once tried throwing treats at the dog, but he wasn't interested in them - it's worth a try though!

9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

We have had numerous issues with a collie which I ended up reporting to the dog warden. He had attacked 8 different dogs over 12 months. I had the same thing in terms of 'he's friendly and wants to play' when actually he jumped on Harley and when she tried running away then tried hiding behind me the dog ended up nipping her and drawing blood. The second time Harley was sat in front of me as the collie came around the corner. I grabbed Harley and put her behind me just as the collie pounced.....he ended up biting her this time - I ended up having to shove the dog away with my foot. The owner eventually came around the corner and put him on lead for all of 30 seconds, then let him off again about 15ft away from us where it tried to come back to attack again. Third time my daughter kicked the dog as I put my body over Harley to protect her. Unfortunately these attacks made Harley reactive to collies and it has taken me over a year to get her to not react to collies. She actually played with a nice collie last month which was amazing to see.
    This particular dog now has to be on lead at all times. I walk at times they aren't usually at that location, but have occasionally seen them. They try to follow me to antagonise Harley, but don't succeed.

10. Helen1977

There are some awful owners out there. Glad Harley is doing well now.

Naya likes this.
  11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We come across a problem Staffy on our walks and if OH is with me he picks up Obi (he's too heavy for me to pick up though). If I'm on my own I do my best to block the Staffy while yelling my head off at the owner. I should start carrying a walking stick if walking without OH in the Staffy Risk Area....

You are definitely not over-reacting to this, Helen. These situations (problem dog, clueless owner) are painful.

Helen1977 likes this.
  12. MF

MF Registered Users

My husband was afraid to walk Snowie on a particular path cos sometimes there was a dog that would try to attack Snowie. I think the walking stick idea is the best. But if you don't have one, simply take on the stance of a policeman with hand outstretched in a stop sign and shout "Go away" (or whatever you feel like saying) in your sternest voice. By adopting a policeman stance you become rather menacing and the aggressor dog should stop in its tracks and turn around. My husband feels mighty empowered by this and is always amazed how effective it is. And he's now happy to walk on that path. Also, it appears the dog is after your dog, not after you - so I generally don't feel afraid for myself, only for my dog - hence happy to put myself between the dogs with my dog behind me.

It really annoys me how people say "it's fine" when I can see my dog is not comfortable (stiff, hackles up). I tell them my dog is not comfortable, they must take their dog away. The other day I yelled so loudly and angrily when the dog kept on advancing so menacingly (it has attacked Snowie before) that all the people in that little walking group fell silent and quickly scurried away. I was left feeling shaken and very annoyed - hate having to do this.

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I have tried EVERYTHING! :D I have experimented with throwing treats, policeman's hand and BACK OFF, water pistols (yep, really, I bought various water pistols), putting my dog in a stay and chasing the other dog...you name it, I've tried it. And I have walked injured dogs, and bitches in season, in what I honestly think is probably one of the most densely populated dog walking areas in the world...

The walking stick technique - and if that fails go for the collar - is honestly the most successful. Not perfect, but definitely the highest success rate.

Helen1977 likes this.
  14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Umbrellas...I also tried opening umbrellas in the face of an approaching dog. That was really hopeless, far too difficult to manoeuvre. Too many dogs just take one step round an umbrella and then you are busy fighting a bloody open umbrella when you would be better off doing something else! :D

Honestly. Sometimes when you read these tips on the internet and then ACTUALLY TRY THEM you just want to go back to the blog you read them on and say YOU DIDN'T ACTUALLY TRY THIS DID YOU! :D er....I do that though. :D

BevE likes this.
  15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Poppy is much the same as Lucy - sweet and submissive. She has also been badly bitten several times by dominant bitches. I think her submission actually encourages some dogs to 'have a go' at her. I will no longer put up with other dogs pinning her to the floor or bullying her and agree that the walking stick is the best defence. I have actually used pepper spray in the past when she was attacked, but I have heard that can rebound badly if the wind is in the wrong direction or it hits another person, so now I just carry it as a last-guard protection. The walking stick is the way to go, as no one can claim it is an offensive weapon, and it is very effective. And I've grabbed dogs by the collar and dragged them back to their owners too - while being aware this might end in me being bitten, I'd rather that than have to have my dog stitched up again.

Helen1977 likes this.
  16. Helen1977

Thanks- I agree that her being so submissive makes other dogs feel brave and have a go at her- we met a dog yesterday that was initially friendly and then snapped at her. I have been taking my walking pole out with me, not needed to use it yet but am ready if needed!

selina27, Karen, Naya and 1 other person like this.
  17. Tori_lizzie

Tori_lizzie Registered Users

So sorry you have to deal with such a bad owner and their untrained dog unfortunately there are a few around! If it were you @Helen1977 I'd report the collie to the dog warden. Forbid anything were to happen but as your dog was on lead you were in the right, her dog was/is out of control

Thanks @JulieT for the stick advice, I don't have a walking stick but there's always sticks on the ground if need be. Max is a generally good but after a very very bad experience last year he can be weary of a certain breed unless hes met the dog before. Doesn't snap or growl but sniffens up in his body, I can tell he's not comfortable, I now pop him back on lead and tell people to call their dog away. I've lost count how many times I've had an argument with idiot owners who let their dogs run riot attacking other dogs :mad: this one lady was adamant her dog was "friendly" after she unclipped her dog from the lead and it went straight to attack Max!
    Touch wood since last year we haven't had any bad experiences :D