How To Stop The Licking??

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by TheresaM, Feb 7, 2018.

1. TheresaM

TheresaM Registered Users

I'm wondering how to reduce/stop my lab from licking people's face, hands, etc. It's mostly when he's excited especially when I just come home. It helps if I ask him to get a toy when I come home but that doesn't necessarily prevent the random licks. I'm eager to possibly have him be a therapy dog which is a big reason I'm asking. He just seems to lead with his tongue first! He's a year old and new to our family (also currently on strict rest after elbow surgery). Is it possibly something he will grow out of or do less when his exercise restriction is lifted? Thanks!!

2. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Is it possible that the licking was part of his training in his former life? I know that some service dogs are trained to lick distressed people as a calming measure. I'll let the more experienced members give you advice on how best to train away that behaviour, but that's what occurred to me first.

3. Bettie

Bettie Registered Users

You have an older dog so the previous owners may have done what I did to stop puppy croc behavior.

I'm not sure what people will say here, but I've actually trained my puppy to lick(I call it kissing or kiss) as an alternative to biting. When he starts biting I say, "Kiss!" and treat for it. Gradually, he has switched completely from biting with his sharp little teeth to kissing when it comes to people. And when he starts biting, I can say "Kiss" as a command, and he stops biting and switches immediately.

I know that some people don't like kissing, but its way way preferable to biting. When I was a kid my parents spent a lot of time telling me not to do things, but always refusing to tell me what to do. So with my dogs, I not only tell them what not to do, but what to do in its place.

When my 14 year old lab was with new people, they would ask if he bites, and I would tell that they they were probably in danger from being licked to death. And they were.

This, of course, doesn't help directly for you. BUT.... you might consider what you want him to do instead, and then behavior mod(mark/click and treat) for that behavior. My response is that getting him to stop "kissing" without giving him an alternative, won't help in the long run because you leave it to him to find an alternative, and his choice may not be one that you like.

TheresaM likes this.
  4. TheresaM

Xena that could be a factor! I hadn't thought of that. He wasn't in a specific track yet but I know he was already detecting low blood glucose in his diabetic handler and that could be from licking (maybe in sweat?) Or maybe it's scent...I think I'll reach out to his previous organization and ask!

5. TheresaM

That makes sense Bettie! He does know "kiss" as a command. I wish it was as easy as "no kiss" and he'd understand haha. I have started asking him to get his toy when new people come over to reduce the tongue action.

Part of the problem is also if he's being calm and I go to pet him he sometimes still licks. I don't mind a ton but if I'm hoping to possibly explore getting him into therapy work I want to have it predictable or controllable.

Thanks for your response and advice!!