How to train puppy to tell you when they need to go out?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by cubby, Oct 27, 2014.

1. cubby

cubby Registered Users

My pup is 11 weeks old now and she is pretty good about house training...but its mostly if i am on top of her taking her out to pee. She does run to the front door when she needs to poop. So if I am watching her I know to let her out. But I'd like to train her to ring bells or do something so that I know (if I am in another room, or busy and not watching).

So how do I go about training her to do this??

2. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Re: How to train puppy to tell you when they need to go out?

Molly goes to the back door and makes a funny little noise. I didn't train it.

Come to think of it, she trained me to let her out.

She has learnt to open the back door. Not been a problem for the last few months, it being summer in the UK. However, as she has never learnt to shut the door I expect I will go off this skill in the near future

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Just be very vigilant as to the signs she gives. She will begin to exaggerate those signs of her own accord once she learns that you respond so well to her needing to go out.

I think they key is that they want to go outside to the toilet. This is natural behaviour, but I have always added treats too. Gypsy isn't allowed to use the garden, either. So she now runs in from the garden and asks to be let into her spending area, which is through a different door. I didn't train for this specifically - I simply only treat her when she uses the right place, so she soon learned there was no treat forthcoming if she used the garden - thus the charging in to let me know when she needs the loo! Tatze is allowed to use the garden so I was really pleased whet Gypsy didn't copy her but decided her own way :)

With both of mine that happened at around 14 weeks, before that they didn't let me know.

Now Tatze (18 months) says 'humph' - a sort of pre-bark. Gypsy (5 months) runs to me and then runs to the door, looking over her shoulder. If I don't notice that she'll give a 'yip' sound.

4. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

It's a lovely idea to get a dog to ring a bell to go out but that would come a long way down the training line I would say. We had a dog would ring a bell to let us know my mum was about to have a turn, we trained to ring the bell for a treat first and then associated that with when mum had an angina attack, then eventually it all came together but the dog was well over a year old and had many other well trained behaviours in place before we started on the more complicated concept of bells as warnings.

5. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

[quote author=Mollly link=topic=8496.msg120065#msg120065 date=1414420339]
    Molly goes to the back door and makes a funny little noise. I didn't train it.

Come to think of it, she trained me to let her out.

She has learnt to open the back door. Not been a problem for the last few months, it being summer in the UK. However, as she has never learnt to shut the door I expect I will go off this skill in the near future
    [/quote]

I hope mine eventually learns to make a noise. Right now, she just goes and stands silently at the door when she needs to go out, which can be tricky when we're in another part of the house!

6. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

I am trying to train Bouncer to play the trombone when he needs to go.

So far no luck.

7. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

Tom I just choked on my coffee, I can just imagine bouncer playing his trombone

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I think that's frankly just stupid. How in high heaven would he hold it?! I'm considering teaching Willow the harp. Much more sensible.

9. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8496.msg120144#msg120144 date=1414436263]
    I think that's frankly just stupid. How in high heaven would he hold it?! I'm considering teaching Willow the harp. Much more sensible.
    [/quote]

Who is asking him to hold it?

10. Helen

Helen Registered Users

I never taught Buster, he just started standing at the back door and hit it with his paw, he is silent and sometimes if i don't hear it he comes to find me then goes back and hits the door.

11. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

:) Lemmy at 14 weeks now stands by doors and does a funny cry. Although considering the skills being taught of a musical nature and bearing in mind his name I'm thinking of getting husband to teach him bass guitar and ace of spades as my cue. Lol. X