HPNK test/buying new puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Chocmum, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Chocmum

Chocmum Registered Users

Hi, not sure where to post this really.
    Have chosen a puppy from a good breeder (I think) who made me aware that the mother tested positive for HPNK and also advised that the pup will not suffer with any problems as will be a carrier. Have been happy with that and the breeder since first contacting them. But, am having a bit of a wobble. Could anyone who has experience of this advise me. Is it likely that the pup could develop problems? I am not intending to breed just want another chocolate baby. Other than that test all else is good.

2. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

I'm not sure what you mean by "tested positive". All DNA tests will come back with one of three results:

Clear
    Carrier
    Affected

If a dog has come back as a Carrier, then the breeder needs to ensure she is bred to only a CLEAR stud dog. This will ensure that NO puppies in the litter will be Affected. Some may be Carriers themselves.

If a dog has come back as Affected, then this dog should not be bred from because whatever dog she is put to, it may well produce Affected puppies.

HPNK is not a life-threatening disease, but it is extremely unsightly and gross-looking sometimes (google it to see!) and also very uncomfortable for the dog and we should not be breeding dogs with it!