Human food or dog food(dry kibble)

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by ana_charlie, Mar 2, 2016.

1. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

No it's not exactly bad, just unnecessary if he is on a kibble. The rice will be adding carbohydrate and therefore calories to his diet on top of what he receives in his kibble. If you want to add a little extra to his meal as a treat some days try some vegetables carrots, broccoli, peas or beans all of which can be left raw or lightly cooked in plain water.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

@ana_charlie some people think feeding rice is bad, other people think it is fine. No-one can tell you for sure.

There is no need to give your dog rice with his kibble, and as we explained above, lots of kibbles contain rice anyway (the kibble you use, if the formulation is the same as the UK, contains maize).

If you want to be sure that your dog is getting a balanced diet then feed him the right amount of a decent quality kibble and leave it at that. There is no need to do anything else. That's all you need to do.

ana_charlie and MaccieD like this.
  3. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

So many reasons this is a bad idea. Know that once you start you can never go back. And if you sleep with a partner you may have issues with dominance/aggression as dog gets older. The bed and the bathroom are areas of intimacy that should be yours alone.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Nope, sorry - there is no reason at all to think that allowing a dog on the bed will create issues with dominance (which is a nonsensical concept anyway, seriously out of date) or aggression. Whether you let your dog in the bedroom is just a choice that people are free to make. There is nothing bad about it at all.

Naya, ana_charlie and MaccieD like this.
  5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

You do get some dogs who refuse to let one of the owners back into bed!

6. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I think having your dog sleep with you is personal choice or sometimes not your choice at all but just how things end up. Our dog was meant to sleep in the kitchen and did as a puppy and until last summer. Something made him hate going into the kitchen at night, during the day was fine. The situation got so bad he would start to get nervous as it got closer to bed time. So we stopped shutting the kitchen door. Sometimes he sleeps with us or will find a different spot to sleep. We don't mind and it's not an issue for us.

Once you let him sleep with you, it may be difficult to stop him in the future.

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Not true in my case. When we travel, the dogs often sleep on the bed with us. At home, they don't, they stay in the living room at night. A couple of times, when I've been home alone, I've invited them in and slept with them, but most of the time Shadow is too wriggly for me, so I don't get any sleep. If the door is closed, they are more than happy to not come in. They don't sit and whine at the door or anything silly.

ana_charlie likes this.
  8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, if you mean sometimes it's a bit difficult to get a snoring Labrador to budge up, this is true, but no harder than getting a snoring human to budge up. :D Or Labradors have a tendency to nick the best spot on the softest pillows when you go to the bathroom, that's also true.

Naya, ana_charlie and Rosie like this.
  9. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

As JulieT says no worse than trying to get a human to move, unless you are talking about a dog growling to stop someone getting into bed but that would be a guarding issue, and trainable, and nothing to do with dominance/aggression theories

10. ana_charlie

ana_charlie Registered Users

Aaah exactly my case:) word to word same :)

11. ana_charlie

ana_charlie Registered Users

So majority of the people here said its ok to let a pet come on your bed and i too feel the same but few of my friends told me its not hygienic as dog doesn't wear shoes doesn't bathe often doesnt have clean parts as they dont wash after wee and poop and goes for walks in the mud etc etc etc
    Though I literally laughed on their reasons but still thought I should atleast ask here once :)

edzbird likes this.
  12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I mean that some dogs growl and snap and refuse (usually the male) to let them back in the bed. I don't think it has applied to gundogs!

13. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I used to let my GSPs and the cat sleep on the bed, but Labradors NO! All those hairs, couldn't stand it :eek:

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

My dog gets his paws and face washed when he comes in from a walk, and he is toweled down if he is muddy, then brushed when he is dry. Before he goes on my sofas, armchairs or bed he gets wiped over with a pet wipe (and that includes checking his bum and boy bits are clean). That's good enough for me.

15. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I never thought of cleaning 'their bits'! I do wipe their paws and stomach if they are muddy, not if they aren't!

16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I don't wipe down my dog unless he's muddy or visibly dirty. He's still allowed on all the furniture. When we used white covers on our bed we did notice that they needed washing much more often then they would if our dog was not allowed on the bed. So we got rid of the white cover and bought a Labrador coloured cover for the bed instead :)

I've never become sick from contact with any animal so I don't worry about that aspect. Humans catch illnesses primarily from other humans. Sleeping with another human is way less hygienic than sleeping with a dog :)

drjs@5, Naya, ana_charlie and 2 others like this.
  17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That's the spirit! :D:D:D

drjs@5, ana_charlie and Rosie like this.
  18. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I'm not really concerned about dirt on my dog.. I'm a firm believer in muck & germs keeping the immune system strong. Well that's my excuse..;)

drjs@5 and charlie like this.
  19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm not overly bothered by germs, but you should see my dog's paws when he comes in from walking on London streets - if I rinse them with a bowl, the water turns brown! So, I prefer to wash his paws - I don't know if it's true, but I also think washing off any diesel particles is a good idea too. Don't want the dog licking his paws...

As for his bum, well, a quick freshen up with an instant pet bath wipe takes care of any....well, you know...

20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Me neither, I have worked in a Nursery with snotty noses, vomit, colds, runny bums etc. and I have my own four children so germs don't bother me ;)

When David is away Hattie sleeps with me and I love it, Charlie sleeps with my youngest son Thomas :) David does not like dogs on the bed so we take full advantage when he's not here and change the beds before he gets back :D Life's too short not to have a cuddle with your dog :)

In the winter both dogs have their feet, tummy etc. washed and dried after a walk to minimise the mess in the house.

Naya and MaccieD like this.