Humping issues

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Kelsey&Axel, May 20, 2016.

1. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Oh what a shame you met such a grump on your walk...puppies need to learn what is polite to do and what is not polite to do. Although Bailey has not shown any interest in humping other dogs two have tried to hump him (both around a year old) but after their owners stopped them they all played nicely together - I explained to the other dogs that my boy was a baby and not yet ready for that experience...but it happens :rolleyes: and I am sure it will happen again!

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Rorys 2 and never humps he's been really good but theirs one bitch poppy the love of his life problem is she loves him too, They actively seek each other out he humps her she lets him they are in love. She is blond bouncy and lovely he adores her and she him, she ran off form her owner and scent trailed him round the park till she found him. They played but then he started to get too excited. Her owner is lovely and we really get on and we both have a realistic idea about how dogs behave. We let them play and the put them on their leads when they get too excited. She also understands that if i think Rory is too excited I will go the other way, I'm not ignoring her or the delightful Poppy I just don't what Rory getting ito bad habits.

Just carry on what you're doing work on his recall he sounds like he's responding and some owners just don't get its what some pups/young dogs do. We all have to try to help each other and some just don't get that.

You do ocassionally get some dog owners who just don't try to stop their dogs and that does cause problems some dogs can be very nasty about it, but you are doing everything you can to try and teach him so don't loose heart. He sounds lovely and he is learning.

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I have to say I would be annoyed as well if a 25kg dog/puppy came running up to mine and started humping her, not once but twice. Yes puppies have to learn manners but that doesn't mean that I'm happy for my dog to be assaulted by a dog that weighs as much as her, if not more.

4. SwampDonkey

Yes but there are things called manners and having been on the end of verbal and physical threats you can see that peoples attitude to a lot of things have changed and they can be a lot more violent. I have had my dogs attacked jumped on and chased but have always tried to handle things in such a way that I don't fall out or alienate the other dogs owner and have found that I've made friends and helped others with their dogs. With some people this is impossible and to those I point out its a dog it makes mistakes has your dog always been so perfect? I don't like my dogs being jumped on either but I try to be very understanding especially if its a young dog and I can see someone struggling with it. By being kind I've found that it influences human behaviour and that usually sorts the dog. With a lot of new owners its the fact that they are unsure how to behave, being mean like this person was does not help anyone

CMartin and Samantha Jones like this.
  5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

@sdegg I never said my dog was perfect or that I want a perfect dog but she is not and has never been allowed to go running up to other dogs to play, bark or hump.

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

One thing to consider with dogs and humping. Some dogs seem to attract this unwanted behaviour, and it could be something as simple as anal gland problem, yeast infection in ears that can trigger a humping behaviour. The scent from these dogs can be a bit misleading to other dogs and trigger humping. Older dogs, a little overweight are more likely to suffer these niggling problems.

Karen likes this.
  7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I've noticed too that male, neutered dogs seem to be the target for young intact males. I suppose they smell different, and the young males are a bit confused.

8. SwampDonkey

I didn't write that, I was mentioning the need for more tolerance form some of the dog walking community near me.

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

This is actually what sdegg said: 'With some people this is impossible and to those I point out its a dog it makes mistakes has your dog always been so perfect?'

I think we all agree that no one particularly wants any other dog running up and humping their dog; but that ideally we try to deal with it with a non-aggressive response wherever possible, rather than escalating the situation.

10. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

I have had some people with wonderful patience at the dog park with the other golden retrievers. To the point that all but this one said "oh it's fine just let him hump. He's a puppy and he will figure it out". Well, while I love their understanding and patience. I do not let him just do that. He always gets his time outs. They mention it several times to just leave him, but like I said I never do. Because I know and completely understand that no one likes that behaviour, including myself.

It's a work in progress that I really hope stops soon!

Thanks for everyone's kind words and tips. It is disheartening and discouraging when you're obviously working hard with your dog in front of someone and they yell at you :(. But it was also a reminder to work harder.

I have never done clicker training but maybe I should read up on it and try and see if that helps.

drjs@5 and Karen like this.
  11. SwampDonkey

last week I and my dogs were attacked by a off lead boxer in a street we were doing nothing but walking passed both my dogs on leads in stead of the owner apologising and stopping their dog they verbal and physically attacked me and then his father joined in. the police are now pursuing a public order offence and assault charges for them both. In this situation I don't think me taking the aggresive stand point would have worked I just had to endure it then involve the police and dog warden. You have to be careful there are some real s**m out there who will hurt you if they can

12. Sammyboy

Sammyboy Registered Users

@sdegg oh my word!!! Nightmare , some people grrrrr , hope you are ok , horrible stressful business xx

13. SwampDonkey

yep and only the fact that i kept me and my dogs calm stopped it from being more serious than just an assault. I'm fine I'm very tough its upset my young dog Rory a lot and I very angry about that.

Sammyboy likes this.
  14. Sammyboy

Sammyboy Registered Users

Awk poor Rory , fair play to you managing to keep dogs calm too xxx

15. SwampDonkey

I think if I hadn't thing would have been a lot worse. Unfortunately there are a lot of socially and mentally inadaquate humans out there.

Sammyboy likes this.
  16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh my goodness I am really sorry to hear about that, how absolutely dreadful for you. I hope you werent hurt and that Rory is ok.

17. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Gosh, did you mean to say this the exact other way around? Young, male intact dogs seem to be the target for neutered males? Not just young intact males, older ones too but especially a young intact male due to really high testosterone levels.

Puppy License To Misbehave
    Testosterone is the hormone which makes male urine smell male. Thus, the “maleness” of a dog's urine depends on level of testosterone in the body. In most mammals, adults have much higher testosterone levels than youngsters. This is not true for dogs though. Plasma testosterone levels start to rise by the time the male pup reaches four to five months old, whereafter testosterone levels reach a maximum at ten months of age and then fall to adult male levels by eighteen months of age. At the ten-month peak, testosterone levels in adolescent male dogs may be as much as five to seven times greater than adult levels.

Urine odor, therefore, betrays the age of young male dogs. The odor of puppy urine is quite distinct. The puppy's size, shape, sound, color, behavior and especially, his smell, all advertise the youngster's age. A rollover with a leaky urethra is a means for the pup to display his puppy license to older and/or higher ranking individuals: "Yo! Sniff this urine. See, I'm just a young puppy and don't know any better. Please don't harm me. I didn't mean to jump on your tail and bite your ears. He! He! He!" And sure enough, most socialized adult dogs are quite tolerant and lenient towards young pupskis. However... once testosterone levels start to rise, the male puppy's license to misbehave is rudely canceled. In fact, by ten months of age, adolescent male urine smells sooper-dooper, ultra-mega-hyper-male, informing all adult dogs: "Why lookyhere. This young urinater must be a developing male adolescent — a potential thorn in the side of social harmony. Let's educate the young fellow right now, while we still can." And sure enough, most adult dogs (especially males) start to harass developing male pups to put them in their place before they become a significant challenge on the social scene.

FRom: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/dog-communication

Bold is mine

18. Snowshoe

Oh no, @sdegg, glad to hear all of you are all right.

19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

20. Snowshoe

@Karen ok,now I understand. I was talking about other attacks than humping, which is my experience. I do agree, at least from the experience with one previous male intact dog. It was not common to neuter males when I was a kid and we had Teddy. He seemed to be confused by neutered males, they smell female? Anyway he did try to hump some, which was peculiar because I never saw him try to hump any female. I don't notice it now though, with other dogs.

Sheesh, yesterday we met Harley, a big yellow Lab WAY bigger than Oban. Harley was friendly but he jumped right up to try to hump Oban. We met him coming and going, he did it both times, smiling all the time, no aggression. He paid no attention to our spayed female friend. Oban just growled but didn't much care but the owner was inattentive and not much good at calling Harley off. I will have to watch if Oban gets a bad back as he ages. Harley could really hurt an older dog, he must weigh about 100 pounds.