Hungry 2 year old lab

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Nanster, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Nanster

Nanster Registered Users

Bill is a two year old English lab. He is fed James Wellbeloved twice a day. He’s an ideal weight, and the food seems to suit him perfectly. He has none of our food. However, he is so hungry. He is asking for his dinner from 2.30 onwards. I struggle to get him past 3 o’clock. He sits looking at the cupboard until he gets fed! His breakfast is about 6.30, when we have ours. I have read that some Labs have the hunger gene. Is there anything anyone can suggest to suppress the hunger.. I have tried other feeds which contain more oats, but they had little or no effect.

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

It's normal they all do this they are always hungry. You can give things like apple veg etc to bulk out the food and do things like scatter feed to slow them down. He may or may not have the hunger gene, but they are always hungry always

Saffy/isla and Nanster like this.
  3. Johnny

Johnny Registered Users

My boy has breakfast at 6am and supper at 5pm. He has little snacks, apples, throughout the day, sometimes a little chicken in the PM....but NO MATTER how much food you give him ... He is always hungry. He hears the fridge open and boom he's there searching for his next snack. From my experience all labs are always always always ready to eat...not hungry .... they just love eating. Maybe a midday snack can help.

Nanster and SwampDonkey like this.
  4. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Ours would normally eat anytime they had a chance. They are convinced that they are starving to death, even if they just ate. Cooper eats so fast, that I think maybe she forgot that she just ate.:D

Edp likes this.
  5. Jilly

Jilly Registered Users

Hi Ski-Patroller

I'd suggest reading and doing your own research on feeding dogs.
    Start with reading 'real food for dogs and cats' by Dr Clare Middle (vet) We know that a natural whole food diet is important for our own long-term health. Similarly, feeding the diet nature intended is likely to be the best way of keeping your dog happy and healthy too. Understanding the physiological basis for a natural diet and the simple steps to make the transition from commercial, processed pet food to a balanced primarily raw, natural diet. She has seen animals respond to this diet change ith loss of 'doggy' smell, itchy skin and weight, and a gain of energy, glossy coat, cleaner teeth, greater well being. Don't be swayed by the vet who has a product brand to sell..... and you will find that for every vet out there who advocates a mostly raw diet there will be one to oppose it ... mostly because it is not in their economic interest

6. Jilly

Jilly Registered Users

p.s. just as eating a portion of protein meat sustains us for a much longer period than eating a high carb pasta meal ..... same for dog