Hunting

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by heidrun, Jun 11, 2013.

1. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I thought I would do a couple of little clips of my two springers hunting. They show the sort of distance from me I allow them to go to before I pip the turn whistle or a long peeep for the stop whistle.
    First one up is Alice. I don't do this sort of thing often enough with Alice as she is my picking up dog and even though she loves to hunt retrieving is really her forte. You can see how she is drawn to the hedge. Spaniels always want to hunt out cover, that's where rabbits and pheasants can be found. And sometimes even the neighbours' cat, hence the very very reluctant recall. :eek:
    Check out the 'distractions' I put in my dog's path! ;)

http://youtu.be/7MnlU-2nZOY

Second one is Caddie. She loves to hunt and even though the sea of buttercups doesn't hold much attraction she is game on. She just found the ipad infront of my face a little odd. ;) When she is actually hunting on gamey ground she will go up about three gears :D

http://youtu.be/xDpqIYYPbkw

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Hunting

Love your videos Heidrun, what camera do you use?

3. heidrun

Thanks Pippa. :) I use my iPad. :D

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

How lovely, just look at those tails, happy tails :)
    Sam wags his tail like crazy when searching and then when he finds , his tail goes into overdrive , almost a circular movement , could watch all day :)

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Love to see those tails wag !! Lovely distraction too :)

Mondays is dog class, Wednesdays is riding for me. I consider myself lucky to have Riley, not quite lucky enough to have a horse yet though. Also lucky enough to have a husband happy for me to disappear two evenings a week.

Do you still use hand signals to get the spanners to head out either side or do they just know their jobs now?

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Gosh yes, you can really see why working spaniels' tails are often docked... all that frantic wagging!

Lovely films Heidrun, thanks. Will have to have a go with my ipad too.

Nice steady horse, totally unconcerned about the hunting spaniels!

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Admiration! They are pretty ,clever girls.you are pretty smart too training,filming,whistling and navigating the hazards!

8. heidrun

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=1689.msg12468#msg12468 date=1370966234]
    Admiration! They are pretty ,clever girls.you are pretty smart too training,filming,whistling and navigating the hazards!
    [/quote]

The biggest danger in my horse field is stepping into something unpleasant. :eek: You are right that takes some navigation! ;D

9. debsie

debsie Registered Users

brilliant to watch thanks... i think brodick is actually a spaniel. thats what he looks like up the hills...nose on ground tail going like the clappers....i long for that level of control because i could let him flush to his hearts content but at the moment flushing can lead to him ending up who knows where!!

10. David

David Registered Users

Just tried videoing Lady doing an unsighted retrieve on the phone. It's much harder than it looks simultaneous videoing and dog control! ;D

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I am yet to master walking and texting at the same time.
    ;D

jac