Hyperactive Puppy or just normal?

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Phoebe Rooke, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Phoebe Rooke

Phoebe Rooke Registered Users

Our 11 week old puppy is so naughty jumping, biting, pulling and chewing every thing she can reach, she never stops in between sleeps, she is like a whirling dervish. We have had puppies before but never a labrador and I cannot remember puppy behaviou like this before. She is obedient when we can gain her attention, will sit and fetch and we have lots of toys available for her. I would describe her as totally hyperactive like in a child and wonder if her puppy food could contribute to her level of activity - she is on a vet approved puppy food? She is absolutely adorable and very cute but totally wearing us out constantly having to watch her every move.

2. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Your pup reallyisn't being naughty - just displaying normal puppy behaviour. It's down to you (as the human end of the leash) to distract and divert behaviours you don't want and encourage and train the behaviours you do with positive reward based training. Are you enrolled for some puppy training?

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Yup, that's all perfectly normal puppy behaviour. I agree, some training would help to teach her skills like settling down (only for very short periods at this age) and will use her brain which will tire her out. I'd also invest in some kongs and stuff them with her food, and, rather than feeding her from a bowl, try to hide her kibble around the room for her to hunt out. That will also take time, keep her quiet and entertained, and wear her out :)

Also normal. She'll grow out of it... eventually :D

Edp likes this.
  4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

5. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Yup totally normal, brace yourself as its a while before it get better...but worth the wait :)

Phoebe Rooke likes this.
  6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Normal, this is were you find out the thing that makes Labrador puppies constant work in progress. They are so worth it thought and very addictive

7. EmmaHughes

EmmaHughes Registered Users

I have a 10/5 week old puppy Madon and as soon as he wakes he has to be doing something! I feel your tiredness. Does she like being outside?

8. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

All part of the fun of a Labrador.

Mine is 18 months and today ran off with my slipper and kept it hostage under my bed.

You just learn to embrace it :D

9. Phoebe Rooke

10. Phoebe Rooke

Hi Emma yes she does love the garden and we can have the door open so she can go in and out I'm glad this seems to be normal behaviour.

11. Phoebe Rooke

Yes we are just waiting for the injection period so we can get going thanks

12. Phoebe Rooke

Great idea will try the food hiding thank you

13. EmmaHughes

I'm assuming it is as I haven't had a lab puppy before Mason just had a dog friend over and got so excited but thankfully asleep now. They went on and on and I now have this problem since yesterday he has done 4 wees in the kitchen thought I had cracked toilet training. He just squats down and does it!!

Phoebe Rooke likes this.
  14. snowbunny

He's still only a baby and you can't expect him to be 100% toilet trained until he is around 6 months. He will be nearly perfect long before then, most likely, but accidents will still be unsurprising until then. You need to keep an eye on him for signs of needing the loo, still take him out regularly, don't expect him to self-regulate (what will happen when the door is closed?) and give him lots of praise when he does toilet outside.

Phoebe Rooke likes this.
  15. Jukester

Jukester Registered Users

Jukes nearly 6 month and full on all the time nipping biteing socks while still on your feet.jumping licking my head after walks etc.could kill him at times but after he just makes you laugh what he gets upto.it will pass my last lab was same and made best dog ever

Phoebe Rooke likes this.
  16. EmmaHughes

Sorry not got back to you not being rude just busy sorry. I see thank you I went back to taking him out more regularly as my youngest says every time he sniffs the floor he needs to go.

snowbunny likes this.
  17. snowbunny

Absolutely. You might also notice him turning round a couple of times before he goes. I said with my last puppy, whenever I think "I'll just do this then take the puppy out", I should correct myself, and just take the puppy straight out! My instincts that she needed to go were pretty spot-on, but the human part of "I'll just finish this" meant she'd go before I finished, even if it was simply washing one more mug. Learn to trust your instincts - and listen to them :)

EmmaHughes likes this.
  18. EmmaHughes

Sorry finger
    Thank you I'm on him!

SwampDonkey likes this.