I am curious - How to teach STOP to Whistle?

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by charlie, Feb 11, 2013.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Since Heidrun suggest using a STOP whistle command, I am very curious as to how you would even begin to teach it. Have googled it but seems to be dozens of ways. Just curious you understand ??? Thanks Helen

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: I am curious - How to teach STOP to Whistle?

Hi Helen, I am about to do a series on this on the Totally Gundogs site so I will put a link up when it is available.

I begin with the dog at heel on a lead, and simply teach the dog to sit to whistle instead of to a verbal command. You just precede the verbal command with the whistle for a few sessions and then you drop the verbal and the dog will sit to whistle alone.

I then add movement, teaching the dog to sit whilst we walk along, then at a run, before introducing distance. Like any other training it is a question of adding difficulty in gradual stages.

It is fun!

Pippa

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Lots of questions.....and I don't mind waiting for the article to get the answers ;)

How would you reward sitting at a distance especially if you don't clicker train? I thought about using Riley's favourite tennis ball but he would run in as soon as it was thrown at the moment.

Would you add movement before distance?
    If so when you bring distance in would you do it with little movement?

At the moment I'm waiting til Riley isn't distracted and vaguely looking at me then blowing my stop whistle. I'm going in to him to reward him with food but he's only 5 - 10 metres away.

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Pippa, it does sound like it would be very useful for Charlie but should I leave it until he has finished his recall training? Don't want to over do it for Charlie or me come to that ;) I use 2 pips for his recall, how many should you use for a STOP just in case it's ok to train this in conjuction with recall?

Sorry I can wait for the article too :) Helen

5. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=charlie link=topic=1190.msg7419#msg7419 date=1360592969]
    Thanks Pippa, it does sound like it would be very useful for Charlie but should I leave it until he has finished his recall training? Don't want to over do it for Charlie or me come to that ;) I use 2 pips for his recall, how many should you use for a STOP just in case it's ok to train this in conjuction with recall?

Sorry I can wait for the article too :) Helen
    [/quote]

I can't see any reason why you can't teach the stop whistle whilst working your way through the Total Recall program. Just take it very steadily and built up in small steps. I use 1 long peep on the whistle plus a hand signal of a raised hand. :)

6. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

There is nothing wrong with this at all if it is working for you, just build up the distances with caution. Try to avoid putting him in a situation where he can fail. In the article I'll show you some exercises for practising at distances. They use retrieving as the reward, which for some dogs is more attractive at this stage than food.

You might have to wait a few days as I'm just about to become a Granny again, and have some little people to take care of. ;D

And for Helen, I use the same as Heidrun, a single long peeep on the whistle. Blow it quietly when the dog is close, then you can increase the volume when you introduce distance.

Pippa

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh how very exciting for you, can't believe having seen your photo that you are a Granny AGAIN :) Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my query, I am going to give this a go as I guess it can't do any harm, and it sounds like fun! Let us know when the new baby arrives. Lots of luck. Helen x

8. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Of course! How exciting ;D

Enjoy the granny time both existing and new!

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Absorbing all the whistle info quietly in the background, but......
    Congratulations!! Hope all goes well and you are not run too ragged ;D

jac

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Jac, perhaps we should both give it a go and see who cracks the STOP to whistle first, Lilly or Charlie ;) Helen

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I think if it goes on dedication of the trainer, you and Charlie will beat us hands down!
    I really should spend less time on the laptop and more time doing training :)

jac

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Although I wasn't on the laptop all day today :)
    [​IMG]
    Walk through Tentsmuir forest and beach. Beautiful, bit rough though.

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh Jac, how lovely - JEALOUS!!! 8)

I too am very interested in the 'stop' command, so look forward to the article!

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Gorgeous picture Jac.

Thank you for describing me as a trainer ;) when I feel like I am in quick sand every day :eek: Helen x

15. David

David Registered Users

Lovely and looking wild weather.

You are a trainer, Helen. Great dedication and progress. The stop will be really fun to train. I have a list of basics to get back to with Lady as I'm "backwards" training her over the summer. Lady stops fine but standing. She stops and looks back for a command. I need to get her to stop sit and look back. That would be really cool.

Please keep us informed of progress!

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thank you David :D "Backwards training", is this a special David kind of training? ;)

I am going to wait for Pippa's article before I start STOP to whistle so that I properly understand it, then off we go. :D I hope Charlie will grasp this as his very long distance sit and very long wait is excellent. Hopefully that will be very useful when we get to the distance part of the training. Helen x

17. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Helen, if Charlie has already a good solid understanding of the sit command then you have an excellent base to build on for the stop whistle! :)

18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Heidrun, thank you very much. Yes his understanding is good and solid, I can leave him to sit/wait in a large paddock or track and I walk to the opposite end, he will remain sitting for as long as I choose then I verbally recall him. Yeah I have done something right ;) Helen

19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

[quote author=editor link=topic=1190.msg7428#msg7428 date=1360608368]

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oops - pressed 'post' too quickly! I meant to say - congratulations on the impending Grannydom!!! ;D How lovely!!!