I can't believe I'm saying this!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by JenBainbridge, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh lord,Emily I hate to say it but they look like they have a skin disease! That's really horrible of me I know,sorry xxxx
    The first family dogs we had were show spaniels ,how we all survived without disaster I don't know as training was usually a whack with the newspaper from my Mum or a rattle of stones in the jar.....they were loved ,loved ,loved but not very trained at all!
    Labs have always been my aspiration ,I worry about when I will be able to get my next puppy as our lifestyle isn't settled enough for the foreseeable ....but there will be a lab puppy again one day and there will be old rescue labs too that just need looking after and loving in their Twilight years.Working Cockers ........frightening :rofl: but gorgeous ....
    Sorry I've gone off into a bit of a daydream there rather than trying to help you with suggestions xxx

bbrown, JenBainbridge and selina27 like this.
  2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

What?! GRs are HUGE compared to W&S (and, therefore, Stanners, who is a titch).

Good points above about the grooming. I couldn't deal with a dog that needed to be strimmed every two minutes.

JenBainbridge likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

If I were ever to get a dog that wasn't a Labrador, it would be a JRT, or possibly a border terrier.

But really, I think I'll just stick with the labs...

4. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

What, you don't like naked dogs??? I just can't understand that! o_O

I love Xolos (or "Squinklays" as they are known in Mexico). I first saw them at the Frida Kahlo museum in Mexico City and was enchanted. Plus they regularly live to 17 years old - and that's for the very large size, so the little size is probably immortal. ;)

Dexter and snowbunny like this.
  5. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Think very carefully before getting a working cocker. Even if you think you know what you are letting yourself in for it will hit you like a steam train if you have never had a working bred spaniel before. Their size makes them so attractive to so many people. But be aware that there is a supreme hunting machine inside of that smallish body. My cocker has got the stamina of all of my other four spaniels put together plus more. You could never tire him out physically. By the time he was 14 months old he had had several pet homes and had brought his previous owners to the brink of despair. Without an outlet for his hunting drive he would become destructive very quickly. Good luck with your search for a new addition. I would say if in doubt then get another lab.

Dexter, bbrown, JenBainbridge and 2 others like this.
  6. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Oh wow! Thanks everyone! This has been really helpful!

It's very early considering period! Definitely won't be until Stanleys at least 18 months but I just want to be more prepared this time. With Stanley it was me nagging for a dog for 5 years, OH agreeing, deciding on a lab then within 6 weeks devil dog arrived. I was very naive and bought him from a less than ideal breeder so I want to do it right this time.

I think we can safely say a cocker spaniel may be off the list - if they're too energetic for @snowbunny then I do not stand a chance :D

I had a JRT growing up and he was an absolute BABE! So I might look back into those.

I'm also a cavalier fan, but OH thinks they're too girly :rolleyes: but I do like schnauzer's so that's a very good shout!

We've also had a beagle thrown into the mix! Very cute, but I know they're serial absconders so that's something to consider.

I do love my little lab, but I do worry that if I got another one they would be too strong. Stanleys very VERY small for a lab (21kg) and I sometimes struggle with him. And with two of them o_O Im not sure I'd get lucky enough to find another mini lab :D but who knows - I'll definitely be keeping my options open.

I think my next steps are doing some solid research so I can present my findings to OH ;) then I might try and borrow Basil for a long weekend and see how I feel after that. Also looking at some volunteering at Dogs Trust to consider rescue.

I am quite excited. But I did come down to a real life kangaroo in my kitchen this morning and had a o_O moment. But it does make you feel good that anyone is that buzzing to see you and he calmed down after 5 minutes or so.. :D

Plum's mum, bbrown, MF and 2 others like this.
  7. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

We had a JRT, we had to rehome him once my mum and dad adopted the Baby, he was very, VERY aggressive towards the baby, and our other pet dog once the baby arrived.

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

What about doing a spot of fostering? You could get to meet different breeds and "try before you buy", so to speak!
    I'd love to do some fostering at some point. @Beanwood Kate may have some advice for you there.

9. MF

MF Registered Users

I guess different parts of the world have different gene pools. Here the Labs are generally bigger than the GRs. The GRs look the same, but once you feel through all that fur, you realize how slight they are.

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

A show-line cocker might be a really nice dog for you. They are terribly sweet-natured, and not hard-hunting like the working cockers. Nice size, too. But you need to look for a good breeder, as they have some health issues.

11. 20180815

20180815 Guest

12. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Massive JRT fan here, in fact this is the first time I have been without one for over 50 years, but ( and theres always a but ! ) they are not for the faint hearted , they are stubborn , naughty , wilful , obstinate but are also great fun , loyal, loving , small enough to pick up if needed , spirited and on the whole , a healthy breed option , good luck !

13. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

A friend breeds these they are really nice dogs and feel nice to touch. I was suprised by them such nice personalities fun dogs

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  14. Emily_BabbelHund

See @Dexter ? I'm NOT the only one who can appreciate a naked dog. :p Now we just need to get @JenBainbridge on board!

I'm actually pretty shocked you know someone who is breeding them in the UK. I think they are pretty hard to find even in Mexico, especially the large size. I'm jealous of your Xolo connections. :)

drjs@5 likes this.
  15. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

She breeds small and large shows them at crufts. She uses one as a gun dog and some of the pups come hairy . They are really characters. Mexican hairless?

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh my word Jen are you sure, are you REALLY sure, afterall Stanley is still a baby? :D:D What about a Beagle, so many in rescue. Here is a link to the rescue centre we got Charlie from, they always have Beagles www.manytears.co.uk :) x

kateincornwall and JenBainbridge like this.
  17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

18. Emily_BabbelHund

Yes, also known as Mexican hairless. I know them as Xolos ("show-low") though. :)

19. Emily_BabbelHund

Helen, Helen...they are flippin' adorable! Well, to ME. ;)

Here's a wee wrinkly Xolo puppy. Don't you want to cuddle him?

Screenshot 2017-02-28 16.56.28.png

20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Errrr… NO, NO, NO that's just so WRONG :D