I feel so bad!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Fwhitt246, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

I think I may have done something very stupid.
    Without thinking about it being bonfire night, my husband walked round to the shop with Murphy, then whilst we were waiting outside the shop some people set off some fireworks in a garden just by us and Murphy completely freaked out running round in circles etc. I ended up picking him up because I didn't know what to do, and then when they stopped I let him pull me running all the way back round to our house.
    He's heard fireworks from inside the house with the windows open and he was never too concerned but I am worried I have now traumatised him!
    He is now asleep on the sofa next to me and there have been a few more bangs outside which haven't bothered him.
    I feel so stupid!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: I feel so bad!!

We worry so much about our furbabies :-\
    Sounds like you had quite a panic yourself.
    I'm sorry I don't have much experience with fireworks, not many around where we are at all.
    I guess you have time to work on the graded exposure for next year. I reckon staying home safe and snuggly night be best until the end of the weekend.
    I think not over-coddling and showing your anxiety is one of the key things though.
    Hope you are both ok.

3. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi,

Well, with a year to go until next time I'd recommend using the Clix CD of noises (including fireworks at the start) to desensitise Murphy to the sound. You can start at a low volume and build up gradually. This is what we did with Harvey and even though we only had 2 weeks to use it he doesn't seem bother by the fireworks at all, whether inside or outside. Well worth a try I'd say.

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Don't worry, you haven't broken your puppy :)

I do agree though that its especially important now to work on gradually getting Murphy used to a range of loud noises.

CDs are great but you can also use natural sounds (balloons popping, banging cake tins with a spoon, lawnmowers). Just start at a good distance away, with treats, and gradually move closer as Murphy seems ok with it :)