I feel terrible, I think I got our puppy from a puppy mill!

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by ChocolateLab, Feb 13, 2017.

1. ChocolateLab

ChocolateLab Registered Users

Smart! So do this with him out of the crate? Ok maybe I'm way too attentive because I don't do anything without watching him. I don't really go upstairs, in the other room... because he freaks out. Is this too much attention? Should I be leaving him in the home room to room more? Maybe this is common sense to everyone but me?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Don't worry, having a new puppy is a bit confounding, no-one gets it perfect.
    With my first two, I'd leave them to go and work in another room while they had kongs etc. 15 minutes to start with, and building up. This was very useful and I could hear if they were distressed. I would then just wait for a pause and go back in to them. But the time I could leave them in a different room was far longer than I could leave them to go outside, so I built the two times up independently of one another.
    Lua is a bit different. She is more than happy to be left if I leave the house, but she gets frustrated if I stay in the house in a different room, and barks. So that's a work in progress. You ned to get to understand the different noises your puppy makes and work out if it's fear, frustration or something else.

I always leave my puppies in a crate or pen when I can't supervise them, for their safety and the safety of the furniture!

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, this is what I do and I slowly build the time up. I can now leave Mollie to go and have a bath but this didn't happen instantly.

I don't put her in the crate unless I'm going out as I want to be able to leave the room with no comment, no fuss - I'm looking for a 'Mum comes and goes and it's no big deal' attitude. Mollie is very nearly there now.

I started by popping out of the room and back again - not returning if she whined or shouted, waiting for a pause in the noise first.

:)

4. Jo2201

Jo2201 Registered Users

Hi I know how you feel marley was separated from his mum before 8 weeks we were lied to about his age by the breeders so he missed vital bite skills from his mum so has been a very bitey pup so far he is now 5 mths and doesn't lurch up at me from nowhere and bite really hard like he was maybe once a day now I got through it by letting him play bite til it got to painful then made a hissing sound to distract him and tell him too hard and walk away now I only have to make a sound and he knows it's starting to hurt doesn't help he get so excited to see me when I go into kitchen but I know it won't be forever

ChocolateLab likes this.
  5. CamK

CamK Registered Users

Mine liked a radio playing when he was alone and overnight in his kennel.

ChocolateLab likes this.
  6. ChocolateLab

We have a fan going for white noise anytime he's in his crate. I also sing to him "the sun will come out tomorrow," the Annie song before bed and rub his paw. He fell asleep to it once it was soooo sweet.

edzbird likes this.
  7. ChocolateLab

A hissing noise? Followed by too hard. Nice! Hmmmmmm. I might try this.