I have a poorly puppy :( What to do....

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lee Bell, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Re: I have a poorly puppy :( What to do....

Oh poor Indy, lets hope its nothing serious. Let me know what the vet says x

2. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Oh poor thing. Hope the vet can give you some answers and he gets better quickly. What a worry.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm sure the vet will get to the bottom of it. So stressful when they are unwell. I hope he is back to normal soon.

4. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

I'm glad you're headed to the vet to get Indy sorted out. Blood in the stool is always worry, but can have relatively minor causes. I hope he feels much better and very quickly.

Our darling pumps can be such a worry, can't they??? ::)

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

How did you get on at the vets? Hope Indy is a bit better today

6. Lee Bell

Lee Bell Registered Users

Hi everyone, he is a lot better now thank god! Thanks very much for your comments and concern.

X

7. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

What did the vet say about the blood? Glad hes doing ok now x

8. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Glad he's feeling better! They are a worry!!

9. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

So good that he is doing better. What did the vet say?

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

How did your vet visit go and how is Archie?If you have the time to do it I would do,seperate walks for a little while just to give him a break from puppy antics x

11. Lee Bell

Hi everyone im sorry for the l8 response its been a whirlwind. The blood wasnt really a big concern as it stopped after 12 hours but she sed it could be caused by something he has ate. We have recleared the garden as much as possible however there are lots of bushes and plants we cant mesh off we are now watching him like a hawk. He was improving brilliantly then this morning diarrhoea again :( he was weighed at the vets and is 8.4kg at 14 weeks which maybe a little under weight. We are in the process of changing his food and we also found out we were slightly under feeding him bad mummy i felt so guilty. Got my grandparents who come in during the day to watch and not let him chew anything in the garden but its so difficult. How does everyone else manage? I feel like i'm failing him. He is well in himself however and full of energy. I just feel like we are doing everything wrong for him. :(

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh dear, what a time you are having.

Puppies do not need a lot of time in the garden, you know. Even my adult dog rarely spends time in the garden and when he was ill (after surgery) he went out into the garden on a lead for nearly 6 months. So I'd say if you think there is something making him ill in the garden, take him out on a lead to make sure he doesn't eat anything he shouldn't.

13. Lee Bell

Hi julie thanks for the post that's what we have been doing these last few days to stop him. The problem I'm having is my grandparents come in for us during the day when we are put which is a big help however i have the feeling they ignore our requests and just let him run around chewing what he likes. I've told them today he was bad again and they just sed oh that's just what puppies do. :( i could scream at them. I will just have to make it very clear that of he goes in the garden he must wear his lead.

14. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Awwww poor you, I realised I was under feeding Bella slightly as her food allowance went up with age... Think that could have contributed to the night waking but she's certainly not starving as I'm sure Indy isn't and when you think of the treats they have that probably makes up for it in allowances so I wouldn't worry.

Yes I would defo watch what's happening in the garden. Poor pup, is there anything they won't eat ::)

Don't beat yourself up about it, from your posts it sounds like you're doing a grand job ;D

15. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Don't give yourself such a hard time, you are doing fine! We are all having ups and downs with our pups, its not an exact science! I'm sure Indy isn't suffering, and i'm sure your grandparents are doing their best. I started putting a scoop of pro fibre in Izzys food on a morning and shes not had a runny poo since, so maybe that could help?

16. Naya

Naya Registered Users

We had lots of problems with Harley's tummy when she was younger - it went on for about 4 months - diorrhea, bloody stools and ended up being bloody diorrhea. We also had lots of tests at the vets, stool samples, bloods etc. all came back clear!!. Eventually by process of elimination with the vet it seemed Harley was wheat intollerant. We changed her food to a wheat free and it made all the difference.

17. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Try not to fret too much. Puppies can go through tummy problems what with one thing or another, it seems, and if your get isn't too concerned I wouldn't be either. The runny poo could come from switching food, make sure you do it very slowly as it helps their tums to adjust. If you do it slowly over the course of a month, and you are still seeing runny poo, it could be an allergy to an ingredient in the food. Then it becomes a process of elimination to determine the offending ingredient.

You and your pup will get through this, just hang in there! :)

18. Lee Bell

thanks everyone, he is on chicken and rice at the moment then I will look into changing his food but very slowly. Thanks for all the help and advice I was really working myself into a worried frenzy lol wouldn't know what to do without this site.