I have no idea why my dog is in pain

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by pianoplaya94, Apr 19, 2018.

1. pianoplaya94

pianoplaya94 Registered Users

My 7 month old lab has been crying today and yesterday and I think it's because he's in pain. Last night for about 10 minutes he just started crying quietly. I then convinced him to sit by me in another room, where he lied down, fell asleep and stopped crying (so I thought he was just being a baby and missed me lol). But this morning for about 20-30 minutes he also quietly, but continuously cried (he was lying down). I moved to sit beside him in case he just wanted me, but he continued.

About a 4-6 weeks ago he started VERY slightly limping on one of his front legs. We brought him to the vet who did lazer treatments and then X-rays. We met with a surgeon who looked at the X-rays (he was originally diagnosed with very minor OCD) but the surgeon said there's nothing there. He's fine and just keep an eye on him. So he stopped limping soon after that (or at least, I don't see him limping anymore). He's still not limping, but when I pick him up (he's 70 lbs, so I don't actually pick him up... just get him to stand up) by putting my hands under his "arm pits" under his front legs, the underside of his left leg bothers him because he squeels and bites me. He has never done this before. Even when he was limping, he was not in pain when we touched him. Now he's not limping but is in pain... weird. He's very reluctant to get up from lying down, too (which he wasn't before). This only started in the past day.

Anyways, the one thing that is similar between today and yesterday, is that he went on a hike (off-leash, about 45 minutes) before it started bugging him. He goes on hikes all the time (at least 3 days a week) and never had a problem. However, we got a huge dump of April snow a few days ago (ugh) and the snow is VERY thick. It's like walking on crunchy ice. It's physically impossible to shovel (that's the kind of snow it is and if you live in the northeast region you know what I'm talking about). So maybe that caused a muscle strain or tiredness or just a really sore muscle??

2. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

Hi,
    I think the first thing is establishing with your vet that he's in pain, which it does sound like he is, and getting him some pain relief. There are lots of options for short and long term pain, and combined with anti inflammatories to relieve any swelling. You might want to cut back on the exercise a bit,45 mins is possibly a bit much for him, especially right now.
    Without worrying you, because it might well be just a sprain, ED doesn't always show up on x-rays when joints are still forming. You might need a CT scan. If it were me I'd be right back to the vets for another once over, and they can prescribe pain relief. Take it one step at a time.
    I do feel for you, keep us updated.

Granca and Karen like this.
  3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I hope you can get this sorted, it's so worrying when our dogs are in pain. :(

4. pianoplaya94

Yeah, we do have some Advil for puppies that we got at the vets the last time. But he is only allowed to take one every 24 hours and he had one last night at around 5:30. So I can't give him another for a few hours. I do agree that 45 minutes is a lot of exercise for a puppy (and we also usually give him 1 or 2 additional walks so he often gets 60-90 minutes of forced exercise a day). My dad insists on taking him for hikes everyday because "he's fine". However, we (my mom and I) are putting our foot down this time and I am going to prevent anymore hikes for at least a week and see how he is. Fingers crossed, I hate when he's upset.

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

70 lbs is very heavy for a seven month old puppy... On top of that, 45 minute hikes in deep, crunchy snow is far too much. You have a puppy who has unresolved health/joint issues - you must stop those hikes in the snow before you do him lifelong damage.

6. pianoplaya94

He is not overweight, though. The vet is very happy with his weight. He's actually quite thin. But he's very tall (he is very long legs).

7. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

70lbs is heavy for a dog that age and those long legs are growing rapidly and supporting that weight. I would happily give you my vet bills for ignoring the advice and experience from other forum members. You won’t get bad advise in this forum and if you do it will be quickly followed up by exerts although they will humbly tell you they aren’t. And Advil is a band aid that disguises the deeper issue. If dad want to ruin him that’s fine. But make sure he’s paying the bills.

8. Johnny Walker

And just one more quick note before I go to bed. Labs are genius at hiding pain. If he’s whimpering then there’s an issue. Either in his mind or his body. Reconstruct surgery is very effective, It’s about $5-$7000 per joint. Veteranarians earn more than specialized medical exerts.

9. pianoplaya94

I’m not arguing with anybody. I said in my first or second post here that I plan to stop extensive exercising for a while. Not once did I try and argue this point as I think it could be too much for him. I am also going to listen to our surgeon (who has been our vet for over 10 years, has a degree from one of the world’s top veterinary schools, and has a chocolate lab of his own) when he says my dog is not overweight. He may be a big dog, but he’s not overweight by any means. I understand that advil is not a solution, but not everything requires an immediate trip to the vet. I don’t go to the doctors everytime my muscle hurts or I have a runny nose. Sometimes, things are just a wait and see, especially if it’s not bugging him much. It very well cuuld just be a muscle, it’s pretty crappy outside. I woke up this morning with pain in a back muscle because I tried to run outside yesterday.

It was bugging him this morning immediately after his hike when he cried for about 30 minutes. After that, he was fine for the rest of the day (and I didn’t even give him another Advil). I’m not randomly going to do reconstructive surgery because he may or may not have a problem with his joints, or muscles, or bones, or tendons, or ligaments. Like my vet said, “I’m not going to do surgery on something that isn’t there” (he said while looking at his test results).

Also, if he needed surgery, it would have cost about 1500 dollars... not over 5000! Although we have excellent pet insurance that covers all of that stuff.

10. Johnny Walker

@pianoplaya94 I think it’s great that you have insurance should you need it. I never insinuated you were arguing with anyone. This is an open forum and people like to help each other. I hope all works out for you and I hope you can gain some experience here. Your last reply feels a bit defensive and I’m sorry if I put you in that mode and I certainly don’t advocate unwarranted surgeries. I hope your boy is okay, just trying to share the consensus but if you know better than please, educate us and help others with your same issues.

Plum's mum likes this.
  11. pianoplaya94

That's like me saying I have lower abdominal pain and then you suggesting I consider bowel resection surgery lol. It went from 0 - 100 really fast.

12. pianoplaya94

I'm just a really defensive person. I may not be a vet, but I am in the health industry and, first of all, the majority of pain and discomfort is usually nothing (or a very minor problem that requires little treatment). Second of all, surgery should usually be a last resort (and never considered before there's a diagnosis!!). Like humans, animals aren't robots and not everything works perfectly at all times. I was just looking for some opinions on what it could be, not really jumping right to surgery for something that doesn't exist.

13. Johnny Walker

When you find out let us know.

14. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi @pianoplaya94 , I think it's impossible to be able to offer advice over the internet for a situation like this.
    While I agree with you that not every little thing requires a vet trip immediately from what you say he is clearly telling you that something is wrong. I would say it's very unusual for a young dog to be crying in the way you describe, and if he were mine I would get him checked over very soon, and as you already are , reduce his exercise schedule, especially as it appears there is something wrong with his left leg.
    I hope you can get some answers soon.

15. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi. I agree that a trip to the vets isn’t always needed, but in my opinion, if your dog is whimpering and crying they need to be seen. Dogs are very stoic and mask when they are in pain.
    My girl is currently on very short lead walks and lots of rest because she has been limping the yelped on 2 separate occasions and hobbled to me twice in one week. That said to me that clearly she was in pain. I monitored her after the first time, but when it happened again we went to the vets. She is on metacam, and as I said above, short lead walks. We are going back to the vet next Monday to discuss progress / what next if she’s still showing signs of pain. I personally wouldn’t leave something like this if it went on for more than a few days.
    Hope your boy is ok.

16. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I think if you & your mum both gang up on your dad together, you'll be able to talk him in to resting your pup. Hope he's feeling more comfortable soon.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  17. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I do hope you can get a more detailed diagnosis for your young pup. We all understand that having a dog in pain is very distressing for all concerned.

It sounds like you have a really good relationship with your vet, that certainly is helpful, would they talk to your whole family do you think? It would be great if the whole family could be involved in a consultation with your surgeon, especially as there seems a little difference of opinion over exercising. Going forward, designing an exercise, diet and medication regime which takes into account his weight, growth, and diagnosis of minor OCD @ 7months I think might be helpful for all concerned.

Karen likes this.
  18. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Have you heard of Panosteitis? SP? Ask your Vet. We got the snow too, I wished I had taken my snowshoes when my boy and I went out yesterday. He didn't go through the crust but I did, most of the way. If your pup was going through deep snow, or crusty snow that could very well be it. It makes him move his legs in ways that are different and could easily cause muscle strain. My breeder specifically cautions against a lot of bounding through deep snow. Also cautions about swimming. If the crust was hard and slippery that could also cause unusual gaiting that could lead to muscle strain at the least. Good luck.

19. pianoplaya94

Thanks, guys! I have heard of panosteitis and researched it, but wouldn't it show up on an X-ray?

Both my parents met with the vet/surgeon (same guy) a couple weeks ago. I was unable to go due to work commitments. But he suggested we switch foods (which we did). He said our exercise regime was ok (just no enforced leash running, which we aren't doing anyways), but we are dialling it down anyways.

This snow is awful, MY muscles are killing me! I did not take him for a walk this morning or anything and today he is in a great mood. Spent all morning playing with sticks (and the cat) in the yard. I probably won't take him for a walk again until after all this snow is gone (so probably this weekend).

20. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I would, as per my VEt, take him for very short, controlled walks. On leash but short. Doing nothing allows muscles to stiffen up. Just out to pee and poop a couple of times a day is what we did. We had a similar thing when Oban was 10 months old. Very slight limp only our breeder could see, besides us. It lasted 3 months, we Xrayed for Pano, saw nothing, then it just went away.