I need your advice please... (Labrador insulinoma)

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by PS, Feb 3, 2023.

1. PS

PS Registered Users

Yesterday, my Sass (who is a complete lively girl terror) was found on my bed, shivering, and unable to get up. I raced her to the vet clinic where they discovered that her blood sugar was 40 (s/b 60) and that the condition is known as insulinoma - a fast growing tumor on the pancreas. The prognosis is anywhere from a few months with drug therapy or up to 2 years with surgery - but it appears that the surgery has a long recovery period. From the clinic, she was taken to a vet hospital that specializes in cancer. She was given an IV to stabilize her glucose which had then dropped to 30 and is scheduled for a CT Scan under general anesthesia this morning. All of that was $5000 - which I gladly paid - but was being pushed to agree to surgery that would be at least one week away which I refused decide in my emotional state. Here's where I need your input:
    1. Has anyone had experience with Insulinoma with their fur baby? Would you please share...
    2. At what point do you not proceed with surgery and other procedures? I love my Sass and want what is best for her - above my need to keep her with me as long as possible.

Any advice/counsel/recommendations would be extremely appreciated.