i picked out my puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by punky1991, Apr 5, 2015.

1. punky1991

punky1991 Registered Users

Re: i picked out my puppy

Im thinking pink Or red collar would look good on her blue is my favorite color I don't know pry wait till I get her and take her with me i think dogs are allowed in orscheln.

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

A little puppy harness is SO much better when they are still small.
    They are so wriggly on collar and leads to begin with....they sound like they are choking themselves.
    I wish I had known about these when Lilly was a baby it would have been so much better.
    x

3. punky1991

Id still want her to wear a collar though

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Why?

People think collars are the "proper" thing, and dogs should have a collar. That's not the case though, you can put ID on a harness just as well as a collar.

This is why harnesses are better, particularly for very young pups that can't walk on a lead (they don't come knowing how to do that) and with soft bones, and very delicate necks:

[​IMG]

5. punky1991

She's gonna have a collar. Lol

6. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a collar and a harness. Maisie wears her collar round the clock with few issues (she likes to try to eat her tags sometimes so it's a source of fun for her too .. ::) ) but wears a harness when she goes out and about.

I would definitely use a harness for walking, though.

In terms of colours, Maisie used to be in purple, and now she's in red - I think the red is more sophisticated looking but the purpose was quite sweet when she was a baby. Generally collars can be adjusted a lot - Maisie wore her first collar from 8 weeks to 20~ weeks I think? And I haven't had to adjust her other collar yet.

7. punky1991

Thanks she'll definitely have a collar on 24\7

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Our dog wears a collar most of the time (to hold his tags) but we never attach a lead to it. We use a harness and attach the lead to that. So, as Maisiesmomma says, you can do both :)

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Have to say - I've never used a harness with any of my dogs. We taught Poppy to walk to heel without a lead before we used the collar much, though.

Do you live in the UK, Punky?

10. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Pongo has a collar that he wears all the time, with his dogtag attached so if he ever gets lost he can be identified. On off lead walks we just take his lead and pop it on his collar in an emergency (eg if we need to walk past horses). But we've recently started using a harness for walks with other dogs or where we know he's going to get over-excited (like agility classes); it seems much, much more comfortable for him, and easier for me too!

We waited til he arrived before buying his collar, so we could get the right size.

11. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Both my boys wore harnesses when young to protect their necks. Collars have been only to comply with the law for having id tags. They only wear collars when they have to and never in the house.

12. punky1991

No I live in the USA

13. punky1991

Comparing my puppy with pics of other labs her age lol. Can't wait to get her.

14. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My two are on harnesses most of the time after Shadow slipped his collar and nearly ran into the path of an oncoming truck (which is what scared him). Even now, whenever they're near traffic, they're on harnesses because it terrified me. If we're going for a walk away from roads and not needing to be on lead, they just wear collars because they're easier. At home, they're completely naked ;)

15. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=10475.msg155568#msg155568 date=1428680198]
    My two are on harnesses most of the time after Shadow slipped his collar and nearly ran into the path of an oncoming truck (which is what scared him). Even now, whenever they're near traffic, they're on harnesses because it terrified me. If we're going for a walk away from roads and not needing to be on lead, they just wear collars because they're easier. At home, they're completely naked ;)
    [/quote]

Bella too, naked at home, harness on walkies,want to do some clicker heel stuff in Prep for kc citizenship classes as they have to wear collar and lead .....lbut in no rush as I think it's not good when they pull as earlier picture posted demonstrates. I think She looks cute in her red harness anyway ;D

16. BeataK

BeataK Registered Users

We have "naked" dogs at home, dogs in collars at walks & dogs in harnesses in cars :)

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Naked at home and in garden.
    Collar and slip lead or clip lead for walks.
    Harness if using a long lead for training

18. punky1991

Well she will be outside a lot so she will wear a collar I'll think about a harness for walks though