I wish I could do something

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by kateincornwall, Nov 16, 2017.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

As most of you know, we lost our beloved Sam to a rare type of lymphoma last week , he was only six years old , it was diagnosed almost 18 months ago . At the time of diagnosis , I decided to contact the Animal Health Trust as the house a massive research facility, mainly into canine cancers and had previously sent out a directive via the Kennel Club , asking for information from Labrador owners to come forward if their dog had suffered any form of cancer . They took Sam on as a case model , they had a copy of his pedigree , plus the tissue sample used by pathology , his notes from the pathologist plus his DNA sample from the kit they sent to me . In essence , I felt that whilst too late for our boy , I could at least gain some small comfort from helping in some minute way , they did advise me to contact Sams breeder, which I had already done . Sadly , although sympathetic to the diagnosis , she failed to grasp what I was telling her , just saying that ( to her knowledge ) no other offspring of her dogs had suffered from lymphoma . This didn't surprise me because this rare type usually affects dogs over the age of 8 , and so some of her pups , now adults , could be a ticking time bomb .
    I contacted the Animal Health Trust last week , to inform them that dear Sam had died and I received a reply , a very long and complex one that took some sinking in . This came from the Molecular Oncology Research Department itself , and they told me categorically that they were now pretty sure that the cause of Sams rare strain is genetic and that it will most likely pass on and on , laying dormant until the unlucky victim falls prey . Thankfully , I had my boy castrated and so I am not left with any feelings of guilt at what could unwittingly have been passed on , but I am so terribly sad , that this breeder still intends to breed from a close relative of Sams , and that his full sister has already had a litter . Irresponsible doesn't even cut it , this is an awful cruel disease . I wish that something could be done , that the KC could be informed of those who show intentions to breed in a line where cancer has been proven , and one which it is now believed to be caused by genetic faults . Lets face it , when we pick a puppy , we will most likely ask for proof of health testing, but who on earth would even think to ask if lymphoma had been detected in the lineage ? It truly sickens me , that others may have to suffer the sorrow that we are doing , and for what ? Money I guess x

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That's a hard pill to swallow Kate and I understand your frustration. Is there any chance you could forward a copy of the letter from the Molecular Onocology Research Department with their findings of a genetic link to dear Sam's Lymphoma? I would also send a copy to Sam's breeder too. It's got to be worth a try. xxx

kateincornwall likes this.
  3. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

As you say, irresponsible doesn't come close to cutting it, selfish, arrogance and wilful blindness don't come close either. Maybe the KC could increase awareness of lymphoma as genetic disease, thereby equipping potential buyers with the knowledge, maybe in time unscrupulous breeders would have to acknowledge the problem.
    You yourself couldn't have done more, I don't believe. I feel for the people who might buy these puppies.

kateincornwall and ruth morris like this.
  4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I agree with Helen, send a copy of the letter with their recommendations to the breeder. If she has any sense of responsibility, then having it in black and white should move her.

kateincornwall, Stacia and Cath like this.
  5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Sorry I meant to say a copy to the Kennel Club as well as Sam's breeder xx

6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Is she a breeder who's registered with the local council? you could register s complaint with them thats shes knowingly producing dogs with faults /genetic defects. It depends because it could get nasty. I think sending her the info and the kennel club and her breed club if she is a member of the findings maybe all you can do.I really sorry

7. kateincornwall

Thank you , Paul suggested forwarding the e mail letter to the breeder, so that just maybe , she will take seriously the risk she is running by continued breeding when she actually sees things in black and white from someone who knows what they are talking about x

Stacia, Cath, MF and 1 other person like this.
  8. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Oh Kate, that's so frustrating after all you've been through with Sam. Now that you have the letter from the research department I agree that it would be worth sending a copy to the Kennel Club and to Sam's breeder, telling her too that you have informed the Kennel Club. Perhaps if it's done from the point of view of trying to protect her from going through the same traumas with her own dogs and future puppies she will take notice.

Some while ago I contacted Wispa's breeder about her possible EIC. I've since discovered, by chance, that she's had Wispa's brother (whom she had taken back as a puppy) tested when he collapsed on the beach after she had moved to a seaside town. He was found to be affected by EIC, so it seems highly likely that Wispa is too, although I haven't had her tested as I can manage her exercise/excitement. The breeder has stopped breeding labradors, but I've also found out (through the owner of one of Wispa's litter mates) that Wispa's mother died of a genetic disorder of the pancreas. That feels rather like a time bomb now too.

Vamosvamos likes this.
  9. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

I quite understand your frustration over this. We had the same situation with our previous lab BJ and his epilepsy - he also became the subject of a veterinary study into canine epilepsy.

As for informing the KC, I wonder if that will achieve anything. This may be a controversial comment but I wonder sometimes what their priorities are. It has been known for decades that some Labrador lines carry a high risk of hip and elbow dysplasia and other genetic diseases, yet they seem to be registered time after time. The same applies to German Shepherds. The KC seem to have condoned the breeding of dogs that appear almost deformed with that awful sloped spine - through support of the Crufts competitions.

I understand if this post is deleted but this is a particular bug bear of mine.

10. T Reischl

T Reischl Registered Users

I understand your frustration and sympathize with you. One of the problems you will encounter in trying to rectify the situation is this:

"This came from the Molecular Oncology Research Department itself , and they told me categorically that they were now pretty sure that the cause of Sams rare strain is genetic and that it will most likely pass on and on , laying dormant until the unlucky victim falls prey ."

Statements like that are not very definitive and leave room for lots of doubt as to whether it truly is genetic. "pretty sure" and "most likely" may not cut it.

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would definitely send a copy of that letter to the breeder. Seriously, she needs to stop breeding from that line - you are absolutely right about that, Kate. A responsible breeder would take that course of action, as tough as it’d be to face it.

12. kateincornwall

Yes , I am of course fully aware that nothing is set in stone . I am also a reasonably intelligent lady and understand that the wording of my e mail letter from the Oncologist will not cause undue concern to those who chose to close their eyes and minds to what " could " be dire consequences of breeding . However , I also believe that the vast majority of people with an ounce of responsible thought , would not be prepared to take this risk, however small and however unsure .

Harley Quinn, BevE, FayRose and 4 others like this.
  13. Cath

Cath Registered Users

I would send a copy to the breeder and also send one to the KC just like Granca, said. I really feel for you Kate, but you have done your best for Sam and any other dog that may come for that breeder. Banging your head against a brick wall comes to mind. :hug:

14. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Yes, I agree with the others who said to pass along the email to the breeder. She may ignore it, but maybe not. At least you will know that you did everything you could to give her all the information you had.

Karen, Kelsey&Axel, T Reischl and 2 others like this.
  15. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

When the breeder sees that letter, I am sure it will make her think and with luck, fearful of breeding again. Tragically, some people continue to breed for money, but maybe she isn't that kind of person and now she sees the 'probable' evidence in black and white it will stop and make her think. I hope so.

selina27 likes this.
  16. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

How frustrating and sad, but really admirable that you're doing what you can. This makes me think of my first Rottie boy, Duncan. He's the only dog I've had from a breeder. I looked a long time for her and felt she was very responsible. This was proved to me when she stopped breeding Rotties after what happened to Duncan's litter. Within a space of a few years, the majority of the males from the litter plus the sire died from cancer, including Duncan at five years old. Back then there was not genetic testing, but the breeder - heartbroken as these were her babies plus she took pride in breeding for health - decided that the line should be completely stopped. A hard but responsible decision. :(

17. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Kate, I think you will be wasting your time writing to the Kennel Club. They wouldn't do a thing but will carry on registering puppies even though there might be huge health concerns from some parties. I have only recently come across something very disturbing myself involving a member of their assured breeder scheme and his breeding practises. A complaint got the breeder removed from the scheme but the KC still registered his latest litter of pups even though they were bred in the certain knowledge that they might quite possibly inherit a nasty genetic eye disease that can lead to blindness in later life.
    A copy of the letter from the AHT to the breeder is probably your best bet.

charlie, Granca, selina27 and 2 others like this.
  18. kateincornwall

Thanks for comments , I have decided against any contact with the Kennel Club , as I know it would be futile and then I would end up feeling very angry, just no point . I have forwarded the e mail letter from the AHT to the breeder , but I fear it will fall on deaf ears , but at least I`ll feel that I`ve done all I can to prevent even the faintest possibility of this nasty cruel cancer from being passed on . I feel very sad indeed , that breeders can ignore the flags , either through ignorance of genetics or just for sheer greed x

MF, Granca, selina27 and 5 others like this.
  19. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

As recommended by others I would wholeheartedly urge you to forward a copy to the breeder and the KC. There is nothing you can do to force them to take this information as seriously as it should be taken. But Kate I know it is important to you to know that you have done what you can to not only honour dear Sam's life but also to make a tiny bit of meaning from why this awful thing happened to dear Sam and to you and yours. This can be a little bit of closure in this regard.

Granca, Stacia and selina27 like this.
  20. kateincornwall

@Harley Quinn Oh you are so right , I want desperately for him not to have died in vane , the tiniest of meaning would ease my troubled mind so much . Its bitter irony that just before Sam was diagnosed , I was reading an article on the increased numbers of reported cancers in dogs, never thinking for one moment that my own dog , in his prime , would become a statistic . Thank you , you have hit the nail right on the head as to my thoughts xx

Atemas, Granca, BevE and 3 others like this.