Ick

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Lisa, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

In a troubling new development in the "what will he eat next" saga, twice now I have caught Simba chewing on hunks of frozen poo. The second one he brought inside so as to gnaw on it in a warmer location, I presume :eek:

So...what to do?? Certainly don't want this to become a habit....I think part of it is that he likes to sniff things out from under the snow,and once you find something, well, one must eat it, mustn't one...there was none of this in the summer, just since everything has frozen outside...

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Ick

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh gosh.....arghh.....

Sorry, no use with suggestions. But sharing the horror.

3. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

lisa, do you work on c/t,.....i do this with leave it,....i am a complete novice....but the c/t works for me with the leave it, :)

normally its only tea towels with my lil guy apart from when he picked a rat up on the field, i was so shocked the leave it worked first time :)

4. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I am working on the leave it, Lynne, but we're still at the training part, haven't used it in a real life situation yet. But it wouldn't help in this case, as it is the poo out in the back yard he's getting, when he goes outside to have a stretch of the legs and/or do his toilet. So I don't actually see him pick it up.

5. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

lisa, i am lucky that jasper only steals tea towels,i do believe this is how i worked on my c/t with him as soon as he stole one i would say leave it and c/t....i never thought it would work on a real live situation but it did :)
    he still steals the tea towels for a c/t,....i have been so lucky with him :)
    they are little monkeys :)

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh Simba, how could you... ;D So, I'm assuming that these are his own poo icicles that he is eating? Or something else's?

I'd just be trying to pick up all the poo before he gets a chance to eat it. But I can understand that that would be difficult if it's buried under snow.... I do try not to let poo sit around in the backyard. Every few days I have a whip around with a few plastic bags. But my yard is not a minus 20 degree frozen tundra....

7. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Yes, I agree, Rachel. I did do a "pick up" a couple weeks ago, before the snow came. But it's a little tricky now, because of the amount of snow and the temperature. Supposed to "warm up" a bit next week but for now I don't really feel like tromping around out there when it's this cold. I guess I'll see if I can muster up the courage tomorrow.....it's bad enough to get up enough enthusiasm for a walk, never mind going on a poo-hunting expedition.

Wow, I love being a doggy mummy!! ::)

8. Oberon

I'd be setting up some kind of jackpot reward for yourself for afterwards. Glass of whisky, nice aged cheddar, bottle of wine, 1 kg block of chocolate, tin of caviar...something along those lines.

9. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh it's just vile isn't it....Jen just asked me about Dexter eating the cats poop on my thread ....I'm going down the prevention route in that he's on the lead past the known cat haunts ( well he's pretty much on the lead all the time at the mo anyway)I've got my clicker on my wrist all the time when we are out and using every opportunity to practice leave it....which is working but with a treat everytime still ::)..drop it ,is a lot better too ,although he'd still chomp a date if he gets the opp.....at which we have to scoop it out his mouth,he just can't eat them especially at the moment...something else to read up on....training drop it....if it's food....or poop!dogs are 'isgusting' as my nephew would say....

10. Oberon

Your nephew is right. Dogs are 'isgusting.

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

The only thing that stopped Poppy eating her own poo was changing her to a raw diet. She never touched the brown sausages again afterwards.

12. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Lisa, I now have an image of dwarves with shovels mining for poo under the snow in your back yard. :eek: :eek:

I hope something else comes along to replace it soon.
    Clare

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Shudder....this is one thing Charlie doesn't do, and for that I am truly, truly, grateful - although horse poo is delicious (apparently, according to Charlie, I've not tried myself). ::)

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3555.msg39499#msg39499 date=1386241164]
    Shudder....this is one thing Charlie doesn't do, and for that I am truly, truly, grateful - although horse poo is delicious (apparently, according to Charlie, I've not tried myself). ::)
    [/quote]

Not here either - THANKFULLY :eek: horse poo is a definite favourite here too ::)

15. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

Amy has eaten ....what i presumed to be fox poo as she did it after i stopped her rolling.

16. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sam is particularly fond of sheep droppings if we go to the moors , dirty boy ::)

17. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=charlie link=topic=3555.msg39510#msg39510 date=1386244358]
    [quote author=JulieT link=topic=3555.msg39499#msg39499 date=1386241164]
    [/quote]

Not here either - THANKFULLY :eek: horse poo is a definite favourite here too ::)
    [/quote]

Riley used to eat horse poo but our leave it command was very successful and now he doesn't seem interested at all. I think we managed to get it sorted before the habit was too ingrained - phew! Now to fix all the bad habits we missed!! ::)

18. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

[quote author=ClareJ link=topic=3555.msg39491#msg39491 date=1386235670]
    Lisa, I now have an image of dwarves with shovels mining for poo under the snow in your back yard. :eek: :eek:

I hope something else comes along to replace it soon.
    Clare
    [/quote]

No need for dwarves....Simba manages just fine....

I went out this AM and picked up the nuggets I could find...but I know there are more out there waiting to be unearthed. The good thing about the snow and cold at the moment is that there are basically 2 paths through our back yard that Simba takes, the snow is too deep to allow for much "off path" pooing. So I can nip out there once a day and find the new stuff fairly easily.

Perhaps the frozen Kongs have given the pup the idea that frozen things are treats?? :eek:

19. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

[quote author=Lisa link=topic=3555.msg39584#msg39584 date=1386262880]
    , the snow is too deep to allow for much "off path" pooing. So I can nip out there once a day and find the new stuff fairly easily.

[/quote]

Pooing off-piste. Unlikely to catch on before the Winter Olympics.

Clare

20. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

;D ;D