If you want stinky treats....try squid!

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by JulieT, Nov 22, 2016.

1. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

:puke:

BevE likes this.
  2. MF

MF Registered Users

Today I finally used up the stinky fishy cat pellets (Orijen) that I bought as treats for Snowie - easy to keep in the car. Couldn't stand the smell on my fingers, so relieved to use them up!

The first few times I used them he adored them. Thereafter he was happy to eat them, but they lost their pulling power. What I've noticed with Snowie is he works hard for a novel treat - could be tasteless white bread as long as it's new and different.

And as a side note, cat pellets are way too small! Very difficult to use as training treats.

3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I had some really smelly dried cow-hearts which Coco enjoyed. I put a second bag in the boiler cupboard(!) in a stainless steel dog bowl. I moved the bowl the other day & it was full of these wiggly worm things! I've thrown the bag away, but the open bag is in a box, no wiggly worms there.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Can't be the same ones - these were only introduced two weeks ago. :)

5. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

I buy hydrated game cubes. I buy them at zooplus and it is to try out. Finn likes them so much! He will do anything for me. Also the dogs we encounter smell the treats I am having in my pocket of my coat and try to get it out of my pocket...

6. MF

MF Registered Users

Were those maggots? They will find any decaying meat and eat it up - natural clean-up works. Probably wouldn't have done any harm to eat. I remember being on a game drive and came across the stinkiest carcass - you could smell it for miles. It was writhing in maggots. The ranger said the lions loved it, like ice-cream for them.

I would be more concerned if the worms were tapeworm or another parasite we try to get rid of in our dogs' guts.

7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I think they were larvae of some description rather than parasites. brown, about 1cm long and quite thin.
    Ice-cream for lions - lol - ugh! I am a bit squeamish around maggots.

SwampDonkey and MF like this.
  8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I didn't get mine from Fish4Dogs, I got them from Skippers, same thing but no interest here :)

9. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

fish4dogs squid bites arrived today...oh my they do stink! I also couldn't resist their fishauges....the dogs went bonkers over those!
    Here they are waiting for their squid bites. Benson (far right) just can't keep his eyes off them! :D:D

MF, Joy, Xena Dog Princess and 4 others like this.
  10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Bless, Benson. :D

11. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Benson is just delicious!

12. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

oh Benson...Coco does that hunched stare when waiting to be released at the food.