Ignoring people

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by snowbunny, Feb 23, 2017.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh yes. She's his little girl. He doesn't quite know her yet, but he definitely loves her. He's an easy sell ;)

SwampDonkey and drjs@5 like this.
  2. snowbunny

Which is just as well, because he winds her up (see above, doesn't know her yet), and whereas I've not had any fresh wounds in ages, he looks like a self harmer :rofl:

SwampDonkey, drjs@5 and Beanwood like this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

She is gorgeous.

Hoping for some fun snow pictures though.......

4. snowbunny

Yes, snow is a bit weird here at the moment. There's been loads but since I've been back, it's been very warm and so the south-facing slopes I generally walk on are going through freeze-thaw cycles, meaning the snow is hard and slippery in the mornings, so she can't go on it and is very soft in the evenings, so she can't go on it for long.
    Since we don't have our Jeep, we can't easily get to better snowy places with her at the moment - the north-facing slopes would take about 15 minutes to walk to with her, on lead, so it's pushing the boundaries of what's reasonable for her age to walk there, have a run around and then walk back.

I'm hoping for some fresh snowfall to get some good shots :)

drjs@5 likes this.
  5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Well done Luna, such a difficult thing to do ;) Fiona, I couldn't here you say "look at that" do you drop the verbal after a while so just the C&T when they have looked? I have been working with Charlie on this which is taking a while due to his many injuries and cone time lately so I am still using a verbal too :rolleyes: x

Luna is very cute!! :heart:

6. snowbunny

I don't use a verbal cue at all in general - the looking just comes naturally and I mark it as she does it. But, I have introduced it with Shadow, a year or so into our LAT journey, to help him if I see something that I know he'll react to if it surprises him. For this kind of thing I'm doing with Luna, I don't believe it's necessary.

charlie likes this.
  7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks, I will stick with the verbal as it doesn't come naturally to him to LAT yet :rolleyes:

8. snowbunny

What are you trying to use it on? I only use it on things that are highly exciting or scary with my menagerie, so they will always look because of that.

9. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Lovely video, she's doing so well.

I really wish I'd done this with Ella at the same age. Hindsight is a wonderful thing :rolleyes:

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I am hoping to use it on dogs he reacts too, but we are not at that stage yet. I am pretty sure he won't look back at me if he does see a dog that worries him, he will stare.

11. snowbunny

Ah, I jut barrelled straight in to that sort of thing. Made sure the distance was enough that Shadow wouldn't react in a ridiculous manner, and then just waited him out or made an attention-getting noise until he learned the game.

charlie likes this.
  12. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I find that Casper mostly needs a verbal cue, probably like Charlie @charlie. He gets a bit fixated, and just needs a prompt to help him out of his "trance" and focus on me. When he is more relaxed, he will look at dogs, people etc. really quickly then stare hard at my treat bad with a cheeky wag of his tail :)
    Bramble is a natural, she is a curious thing, and if something is a bit odd, or makes her feel a little uncomfortable, she will look, then look to me, in an almost instinctive fashion. Benson is bombproof. Nothing really fazes him....:)

drjs@5 and charlie like this.
  13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Charlie is very difficult to prompt out of the trance and he is not a big treat boy either, no matter what the treat is, so it really can become tough. We do struggle with this. :( x

14. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Yes I know that feeling well! :( We developed the "lost" game just for Casper. I would drop at least 3 really high value treats...steak, roast potatoes, you name it the BEST! :)Then say "lost!", Casper gets really excited, his head goes down as he sniffs for the treats. It does help a little bit. I think he finds it easier to put his head down...then up, once his nose is the ground, and he is occupied for a few seconds it can help. This is a game we reserve for emergencies.

charlie likes this.
  15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That sounds like a good plan of action. I will give it ago indoors over the weekend and see how we get on. Thanks Kate :) x

16. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Wonderful Luna, well done :)

17. Dawn_Treader

Dawn_Treader Registered Users

Lovely Fiona! I like your blog. Keep it coming. It helps so many people.

snowbunny likes this.
  18. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Well done Luna, you little star. :star: I really wish I'd done this with Mabel when she was a tiny pup. Oh well hindsight and all that.

charlie likes this.