I'm a bit fed up ...

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Boogie, May 9, 2017.

1. Peartree

Peartree Registered Users

I win with the mentalist passerby! Some time ago I met a young man on a bridle way who was absolutely terrified of my calm young lab. He was screaming his head off and then panicked and CLIMBED A TREE to get away!! I was absolutely:eek:

2. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I have a colleague who is also now a good friend, we've known each other for a long time and worked together as district nurses for several years. She's one of the most grounded and well balanced people you could meet -- but she's scared of dogs.
    I had always assumed that she was scared of being bitten, but I asked her one day, not long after getting Cassie why she is frightened of them. It turns out that when she was growing up her younger sister was severely asthmatic and they as a family could never have a pet, and whenever they were out and about if they saw a dog they had to quickly avoid it with the instruction "don't touch that dog or Shirley will have an asthma attack and die". Consequently my friend has grown up with a quite irrational fear of them which may or may not be a phobia.

It sounds like what @Boogie experienced today was quite unreasonable, and I also find it very irritating when people scream and jump about. But just thought I'd put the other side of the coin.

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My youngest son was bitten on the face by a dog when he was 18 months old and his older brother witnessed it, so was scared of dogs from that day on (he's over it now). So he would walk the other way if he saw a dog - no hysrionics 'tho!

:rolleyes:

4. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Sad thing is that her reaction will be entrenched because she fell over when she screamed - 'big dog makes me fall' over soon becomes 'big dog 'pushed me over' in her mind as she tries to justify her reaction to others and the story gets retold to her friends who then give her sympathy and attention.

We take the children at school to a local park for their playtime. The park is also popular with dog walkers and amazingly we actually do all get along fine and share the park. There are two or three children who are scared of dogs, these children may simply take hold of your hand as we walk past the dogs or come and stand quietly near the teacher if the dogs run near by. One in perticular, who has a genuine fear, likes to watch the dogs so he knows where they are, he'll talk about them, while holding your hand, he'll keep his distance, know their breeds and knows some of them by name. He's even had a play date with Homer, very much on his terms and he eventually held his lead and dropped treats on the ground for him.

Then there is the one girl. Who will grab hold of her friends squeal and jump up and down, her friends, kind caring girls, will give her attention. The more attention she gets the more she performs. This girl has has endless fear counselling, and the family even have a small dog at home. It's all about the attention.

5. Boogie

This is what bothers me, that word will go round the whole power walking community. Hopefully not.

6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

It will be old news in a day they will be on to the next new fad soon and falling out with each other over something. You and Mollie did nothing wrong she behaved like an arse. They will disappear when the rain comes.

7. MF

MF Registered Users

And there I was thinking everyone from the UK absolutely loved dogs. Especially Labradors!! I come across tons of people who are scared of dogs. I don't mind in an on-leash area - the children generally hang onto their parents for dear life and scream: He'll bite you! He'll bite you! No doubt they come from areas where dogs aren't pets but rather guard dogs.

But I do get annoyed that at the dog-walking forest there are people who are afraid of dogs. Why come here then??! They scream if Snowie gets near and ask me to leash him up. No. I won't. It's an off-leash dog-walking area. There are so few areas left for off-leash walking.

And then I walk past people who gush at Snowie - and they have British accents. Tourists on holiday. So I thought it was in the British DNA to love dogs!

I have had parents ask if their terrified toddler could touch Snowie - to help them overcome their fear. I did at first. But I don't anymore because inevitably the child screams in Snowie's face. He doesn't flinch, but it's so unfair to him. Now I just keep walking and smiling and ignore their requests. Perhaps I should be stopping for the greater good, but just not fair to Snowie.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  8. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Having spent lots of time in France with dogs I have always found it to be very dog friendly. Dogs are welcome in the vast majority of bars and restaurants, hotels, motels even local airports etc. Frequently the dogs have received bowls of cold water before we get our drinks - I only wish I could take my dogs into as many bars an restaurants here in the UK

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I think, in general, both France and Spain are very dog friendly. Even though both cultures leave a lot to be desired in how they traditionally treat their dogs. I think Emily's specific issues would be down to France's breed laws, as she owned a Rottweiler service dog, which is classed as a category 2 dangerous dog in France.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

This is quite interesting, isn't it? This thing about the UK being 'a nation of animal lovers'. I think some of this is very historic - the first country to have animal welfare charities and laws, and a historically high percentage of people that keep pets (about 50% of the population keep a dog or a cat) and a higher than average spend on pets in comparison tables.

I think on some measures, you can say that it is true. Our animal welfare charities are very well funded. There aren't enough stray dogs to fill our really exceptionally good rescue centres, to the extent that we actually import stray dogs from other countries in order to rehome them (with the exception of the national disgrace that is Staffies of course). High profile and public campaigns run - pretty much all the time - to tighten up on animal protection laws, and the UK has no leash laws - you are pretty much free to take a dog anywhere you please. Into pubs, hotels, some restaurants, public transport etc.

On the other hand though, of course the UK isn't free of people who are cruel to animals, or who are scared of animals (not saying these are the same people) and frequent national reports on the welfare of pets (a rather large number of them refer to the 'nation of animal lovers' in the title :) ) do raise some worrying concerns. British people aren't all animal loving clones, and of course we have people living in the UK from many different cultures - which is a very good thing. I also think the differences between UK cities and UK countryside is massive, with very different cultures between the two, and London a real outlier in its differences from other areas.

Rosie and MF like this.
  11. Sven

Sven Registered Users

My answer would have been 'did you see a scary monster? You better watch your step and mind the kerb it has been there a long time' and carried on walking. And I know some people will think that would be harsh or rude.
    We do try and avoid people who look scared or say they are as they approach. I fully understand the other side, as we have friends who have issues with dogs. Some are even slowly getting used to Vanilla, then again our house our rules.
    If we see people out and about and they look concerned, I will get vanilla to walk closer to me and even get her to sit until they have passed. I would however not cross the road, we all have the same right. If they do start to make a comment or scream I will respond in a polite way (depending on what is being said)
    Whilst on holiday a couple off weeks ago, a mum with her 2 kids where on the lawn. One came up and asked if he could stroke the dog whilst his mum came running up say no. We just removed ourself and she explained that her other son had been bitten by a dog. All we said was if they both want to stroke her that is fine, but do it this way. No issues and they walked away happy and relaxed. I just wish people would do that more rather then totally overreact. But that is human nature

12. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

@snowbunny hit the nail on the head. Also, I was mainly in Paris and Cannes with Brogan, both places very un-dog friendly to any breed of large dogs. If you have a Yorkie, you are in like Flynn in either place. Otherwise, a large dog...no way. People were the most openly hostile to me in these places of any country I visited, including being physically assaulted. Large dogs of any breed were certainly not welcome in restaurants. Central Paris was particularly bad. I'm sure I would have had a much different experience had I been in a more rural area or in another area of France.

But contrast to Germany where Rotties are also in the same legal category as in France, but still Brogan was welcomed pretty much everywhere. We did get "street attitude" due to his breed, but not the level of outright hostility as in France. Very minor problems in Spain, UK or Ireland (all places where the breed is also legally restricted) and generally abject adoration in Italy.

Luckily, despite some poor experiences, there were also wonderful people in every country who treated Brogan like a prince. I don't want to give the impression that we were constantly set upon by jerks. Traveling with him was an amazing experience and most of my friends to this day are people I randomly met and got to know due to the influence of Brogan's unique doggie charm. :)

Rosie and Granca like this.
  13. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Mollie did really well to ignore her. It may well be that she'll have to encounter 'yummie mummie exercisers' when she's working, so don't give up on the park.

I used to walk the dogs in a park which was gradually being taken over by one-to-one personal trainers and their clients, so had to negotiate people doing press-ups and stretches in the middle of the paths, even with sundry equipment (looking all too much like dog toys!) strewn around. It made me wonder whether it was a free alternative to hiring a hall, although perhaps fresh air was the attraction...

14. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I can understand how you feel. It's frustrating when you have a dog off lead and people react as though they will kill them. I hope you continue to use the park and maybe over time the running ladies will get used to the dogs there?

15. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think you're should keep going to the park.

Other thoughts..... Some people do have major phobias when it comes to dogs. They feel genuine terror when they see a dog and they are going to act in a way that's dictated entirely by that terror.

If our dogs react with terror to something we don't sneer at them. We try to make it easier for them. So have a heart for humans in the same boat.

If anyone is reading this thread who experiences fear when they think about, see, hear or are near dogs - this is a really treatable thing and a qualified psychologist (look for postgraduate qualifications) can help you to learn to overcome it so that you don't have to experience the fear any more.

16. 20180815

20180815 Guest

I suppose it would be like if I saw a Labrador-sized spider coming towards me, just the thought of it gives me shivers...

Naya and Rosie like this.
  17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I completely agree. It's not fair to vilify people who have a phobia or a real fear. My daughter was terrified of dogs as a toddler (she got over it, obviously!), and in a public park was surrounded by three afghan hounds who kept running up to us and jumping around us. I picked her up, but they wanted to sniff and lick her. They were friendly, but about three times her size. She was petrified and screaming - and I was FURIOUS, absolutely LIVID with the owner of the dogs, who just kept repeating the time-honored response 'they just want to play, they're friendly...'. Idiot. Now, luckily this didn't result in a major phobia on her part, she loves dogs and has her own, but it easily could have done. We all have to share these public places - if you notice someone is afraid, what's the problem in calling your dog back and putting him/her on the lead?

Debs, selina27 and Aimee Lawrence like this.
  18. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Ditto. Completely irrational, I know. House sp***s in particular send me hysterical - screaming, flapping, barking orders at OH (for removal). BUT, I deliberately do not put myself in a situation where I am likely to see one. I would imagine the people fussing and creating in public parks, where dogs are allowed, do not have a phobia. They really wouldn't be there if they did.

That said, the laws here states that dogs must be "under control" - everywhere. Like Mollie was. That might mean leashed, it might mean being able to recall your dog immediately - it's vague.

19. Boogie

I have a (new) wasp phobia, since last summer when I was stung and had to go to hospital with anyphalactic (sp?) shock. Even if one is in the room I panic. One buzzed round me in the kitchen and I screamed! No one was home, so it wasn't for effect.

So I do understand. I felt for the woman who fell - and felt responsible, even 'tho neither Mollie nor me did anything wrong.

:(

I'm going to change my routine - funny how soon we get set in our ways! I also agree that they'll soon be gone when the rain and cold weather returns lol!

:)

Naya, Karen and selina27 like this.
  20. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We meet lots of people in the Forest on our walks. If they have a dog then I let Holly introduce herself. If not I recall her and ask if they're OK with dogs. Most people are fine with dogs, but a few ask me to hold her while they pass.

I've only had one person who has reacted badly to seeing her off lead. He appeared suddenly and Holly was introducing herself before I could recall her. He said that I should keep her under control, which I felt was a bit unfair, but I gritted my teeth and apologised.

This has not changed the walks I do, the time of those walks, or how I handle Holly when we meet people. The occasional incident like this is bound to happen. I'm happy that Holly is under control, and that I take reasonable measures to ensure that other people's views about dogs are considered.

On a different tack, my sister in law is nervous about dogs. Last week we introduced her to Holly in a controlled situation at her request. She now is a little more relaxed around Holly, and even patted her and gave her a biscuit. Sometimes a well behaved dog could help someone to overcome their nervousness about dogs.

UncleBob, Naya, Rosie and 3 others like this.