Important information on dominance

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Jun 14, 2013.

1. VAl

VAl Registered Users

Re: Important information on dominance

Thank you, it helps to hear somebody else has been TOLD!! I was wondering about her weight she looks good and is fit and healthy, probably too many treats, although doggy ones, and carrot, etc., will cut it down a bit, she has had more treats this last week as she could not or should not run around after the op, poor lamb was really bored!! Although she is our third lab, I have never really known what the ideal weight should be. Thanks again, Val

2. VAl

VAl Registered Users

Thank you, yes I think it was the environment, and she was probably trying to tell me not to leave her again even though she did go into the surgery happily, she has been fine today, but still have to take care for another couple of days. You have reassured me, I was really feeling worried and confused.

3. Diselmommy

Diselmommy Registered Users

Thank you !!
    I for one had problems back in the 90´s when I was a teenager and our yellow lab (bless her soul) would not obey me, only my parents. Not surprisingly, but back then we explained it with dominance theory. I was thought to have too little authority over her, and tried and tried to make her obey with that in mind. BIG FAILURE although we were awesome friends ;D. I understand the situation much better now being that my parents were the ones taking care of us and in the family structure Birta (translation of her name; Light) would not obey one of the kids, she was one of the kids!
    With great joy I have thrown that dominance thing out the window and our new puppy Disel is being trained with positive reinforcement only (and the occasional NO when he is really really acting up). But without all that frustrating dominance stuff.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good on you Gudny!
    :)

5. Suthuncat

Suthuncat Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=1705.msg12647#msg12647 date=1371198864]
    Thank you Pippa,

I do get Dexter to sit down before I go through the door,especially the garden gates....it's basically just for manners ,feel bad now though as he doesn't need to be dominated ,and don't want him to feel he is,he is a good boy.I've got so much to learn
    On the point about delaying feeding my Husband and I fell out last week on Saturday because he was starving and wanted to order a takeaway but I said it would come an hour before Dex's meal time and I wouldn't enjoy eating it in front of Dexter when he was cranking up to being hungry.......so who's dictating the order of events in our house!he he!
    [/quote]

i have orion sit when i clip his leash on or take his leash off, and he has to wait for my "okay!" release before going into the house... i do this primarily for manners, as he nearly knocked my little girl down the wood steps in our garage once in his rush to get outside to play..... is this still okay for me to do? i don't want to beat him into the ground by doing this, but i also don't want him hurting someone with his 90 pounds of joy to get outside. he also has to sit and wait when he is given his food (again, manners... as he would leap up and knock the food from our hands, then scoff it all!).

6. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Yes, absolutely. All dogs should be well-mannered, for safety reasons, and to ensure that they are welcomed wherever they go.

7. Ankita

Ankita Registered Users

How to deal with a situation where a new dog (2.5 yrs cocker spaniel) is dominating or scaring my 3 yr old lab. my lab approaches her in a submissive way.lab looks away/avoid if cocker spaniel approaches her.

8. Chandler&Co

Chandler&Co Registered Users

Rachael is on point here! haha never had to deal with a dominance issue from my boys before, so thankful. Harmonious living all the way

9. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

We don't make Nelson sit, but we do make him wait for a command before coming in or going out. This is purely for convenience, e.g. when he has dirty feet coming in, or we need to get organised with footwear and whatever other stuff we need to carry out at the same time (bin bags, compost containers, tools, fresh towels for the sauna, beer :p, etc.).

I hope he doesn't interpret this as dominance. He often gets a treat for playing his part and seems happy with the set-up.

10. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

I have my answer. Phew...

selina27 and kateincornwall like this.
  11. Leba London

Leba London Registered Users

12. Leba London

Leba London Registered Users

Hey everyone...
    I have a beautiful chocolate lab that is 8mo.old. He is huge! About 100 lbs. And does not overeat...We have 2 dogs and they share their food for the day.
    Here is the thing...
    When my husband comes back into the house, Koda the 8 mo. Old, goes into attack mode and has tried to bite his face. He has already drawn blood fro his forearms and upperarms. This is after turning his back. Once he has settled down, they are best buds...
    Koda does not do this to me. I use a walker. Could he sense a problem and that is why?
    Have considered neutering him for calmness, but don't want to get drastic.
    Our other dog is a female spayed Australian
    Kelpie 2.5 years old.
    Any ideas?