In need of some calming down ideas

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by selina27, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Rhino-charges aren't much fun! Wispa still occasionally does it when she's feeling wound up, but Tuppence never has.

Have you tried playing hide and seek? Mine love it, particularly in the garden. I hide their toys (you could use a tasty stuffed Kong if Cassie's not toy focused) and then they race around searching for them. It intrigues me how the initial search often follows the same pattern, but then one of them picks up the scent somehow. I try to throw the toys into a pile of leaves or under a shrub, rather than stand and drop them nearby, so they have to think as well as rush around!

Tuppence also likes playing hide and seek with her ball indoors, but Wispa just lets her get on with it then, although she used to love it too before Tuppy took over!

Jojo83 and selina27 like this.
  2. blackandwhitedog

blackandwhitedog Registered Users

Sorry that you're having a tough time with Cassie - though did I see on another thread that you'd been placed in a local competition? That's great! You are making great progress, even if it doesn't always feel that way on a daily basis. Does Cassie get much play time with other dogs? I don't know whether that might help calm her down with you? As an urban dog, Jess has lots of doggy playmates and she really, really, really loves to zoom and chase them. And it tires her out very effectively!

For ideas of games to play to build her focus and engagement, I've found lots of ideas at https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/ - the archive stuff is open access.

Also, do you train Cassie to settle/park/calm down? I found Jess's general behaviour improved massively after I started doing that with her - not when she's already super worked-up, but as part of her general training.

selina27 likes this.
  3. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Thank you @Granca, yes I am doing that type of thing with her and it really does help, it's great to be getting all these ideas, variation on a theme really.:) This morning I gave her her breakfast kibble in an empty milk container -- the look on her face was priceless, she loved it.

It feels a bit like now her body as all but stopped growing her mind has expanded and needs more and more to do.

4. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi @blackandwhitedog , yes I quite agree, time with other dogs is a great benefit and I try to make time for that. It's quite handy that I can pop her over to see my friends who bred her, they have 4 dogs including a litter sister so same energy levels. My neighbouring dogs are on the mature side and it's a bit unfair to involve them! She had an unscheduled play in the woods this morning with a dog belonging to a fellow who works up there, then we a lovely walk, no rhinosceros behaviour :)

Thank you for your comments, in my heart I know we are progressing. At the moment she just seems to go over threshold in an instant though. I'm pleased I made this post as all the ideas have been great.

Granca and Jojo83 like this.
  5. Dawn_Treader

Dawn_Treader Registered Users

Hang in there! I wish we could get our dogs together to tumble around and just burn off steam.

Granca, edzbird and selina27 like this.