Injured at pets at home groom room

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Laura1989, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Laura1989

Laura1989 Registered Users

I had sam at pets at home for a bath brush and nail trim left him got a call to return collect him was told not to bring him back as he escaped out cage 3 times and let another dog free lol his head was still wet as he dont like driers got home he wasnt his usual self a bit nervous but next day i found him limping so while having a look he yelped at top of front leg and i found dried blood and scab went to vet who cleaned it all up and sags was an injury with sharp object pets at home are denying all knolwedge of him being injured hes still limping but got medicine.
    I take him out with me because hes good when i have seizures but when we get off bus near pets at hime he gets really shaky and nervous im so upset and angry.
    Anyone had similiar experiences with pets at home.

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

OH that is terrible, I am so sorry :(

3. Cath

Cath Registered Users

No sorry can't help you there, but is there not another vet who you could visit? Hope Sam is better soon.

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

No experience of anything like this, poor lad, hope he mends soon . I`ve only taken our rescue girl to the groomers once , she was so frightened that the groomer stopped , and rang us to collect her as she thought it unfair to continue , which we appreciated greatly . So sorry to hear about Sam x

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

How awful, poor Sam and you :( Irresponsible groomer. I would be extremely angry. Have you thought about contacting their Head Office to complain? I know someone in our village that used to be a groomer at our local Pets at Home, she told me of unkind rough treatment towards dogs. I wouldn't use them - ever. I have a great groomer that Hattie has been to since she was a puppy, she loves it so much she jumps up on the table ready to be pampered and that's how it should be. I hope you and Sam are OK. xx

Cath and Jes72 like this.
  6. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I would be fuming mad! If there was any problem they should have called you immediately, not after she escaped three times.

Give a written complaint.

7. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

I can't see a reason to take a Lab to a groomer. They seldom need a bath, and if they do, we just do it at home, in the shower. We just dry them with a towel, they same as we do when they go swimming or are out in the rain. If I could not trim my dog's nails, I'm not sure I would want some one else to terrify them.

I actually talked to a couple of local groomers about brushing Cooper (who hates being brushed) and they thought it would be a bad experience for her.

8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sorry he's had such a bad experience :(. I would write a letter of complaint to their head office and complain.
    I put Harley in the shower once in a blue moon - usually in the winter when she's very very muddy!

9. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Oh poor Sam. I do hope his limp is soon gone. Like @Ski-Patroller says, Sam doesn't really need to visit a groomers. If his nails need doing, try your vet nurse. Coco has had his second bath in 2 years (shower with the hose pipe) with us yesterday - for rolling in poo, a spot clean didn't get rid of the smell! But, in general, he doesn't need a bath. Just a regular coat buff with a zoom groom.

10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

How awful! Definitely write to someone senior to formally complain.

Your vet can clip nails and I'm sure will be much kinder!

11. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Not me but a friend of a friend took his cat in for a lion cut (a sin and a crime in itself if you ask me) and the groomer at the pet shop cut the cat multiple times to the extent it needed stitches and racked up a $500 (1000 pound?) Vet bill. The groomer was not a pet shop employee but rented space at the shop. The petshop denied any responsibility and I'm not sure how it ended up, except the cat is all right.

12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Nope, it goes the other way. 500CAD is about 300GBP.
    Still a lot of money, and unacceptable.

I agree, I wouldn't take my Labs to a groomer. I might if I had a spaniel or similar, that needed regular cutting, but I think I'd still be more likely to do it myself at home.

Definitely put in a letter of complaint.

Snowshoe likes this.
  13. Laura1989

Laura1989 Registered Users

Thanks everyone hes got antibiotics and pain medicine and loving extra attention especially the bacon.
    I cant bathe sam myself hes scared of shower and hes too heavy for me to lift in bathe plus i have sciatica and bathing him is pitting myself in danger with my epilepsy.
    I took him for bath and brush as he was smelly from deciding to roll in mud and the smell was awful lol.
    He gets 2 walks a day which are 3 miles long one at 8am and then again at 6pm and hus claws were really sharp.
    I never thought for a second hed be hurt im still upset ive sent an email to head office with pictures aswell.

14. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Glad you and he are feeling a bit better. I have a few lifting problems and I've always just used a water can with warm water outside for washing my dogs. It much gentler than a shower on you and the dog

kateincornwall likes this.
  15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I'm glad you are making a complaint. Send the vet bill with the photo's. I do the same as SwampDonkey, watering can with warm water does the trick :) x

16. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

We have a walk-in shower, so no lifting. All 3 of our labs have been willing to just walk into the shower. I just go in with them and do a dog wash and finish with my shower. We only do it about once a year, especially if they have had a chance to swim a good bit.