Introducing a new puppy to a 4 year old Lab

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Andrew Faulkner, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Andrew Faulkner

Andrew Faulkner Active Member

We are getting a yellow lab in 2 weeks. We have had Gus since he was a puppy. We just think he needs a playmate and someone to run around and play with. I could use a bunch of help to figure out the best way to introduce them together. He pretty much does fine with most dogs but one in his house all in his stuff gonna be interesting to say the least. Thanks in advance.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I would advise complete supervision to start with, until Gus gets used to sharing his home with an interloper ! My late boy Sam welcomed several rescue dogs into our home , but I did always take care to watch them at all times until I felt I could relax . Make sure that Gus has somewhere to go to , a quiet place such as a crate or bed where he can rest away from a playful puppy . The vast majority of Labradors are good natured and accept a puppy , although he might be a little put out to start with , make sure he has plenty of fuss and attention too . Try to be relaxed yourself , dogs pick up on our stresses so much and make sure that you take Gus out on his own for some quality time whilst the puppy is safe indoors . Gus is young enough to be classed as a young adult , still playful and sociable , so it should be fine . If the puppy is bothering him though , remove the puppy to its crate for a little time out ( Gus will enjoy that ! )

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Well, to some extent, you have to suck it and see. Many dogs are absolutely fine with a new addition. On the other hand, mine absolutely hated our new puppy with a vengeance. I'm pretty sure there would have been some serious harm done if I had let it happen. So the pup stayed in a puppy pen when the other dogs were in the same room - I spent a lot of time in that puppy pen for the first couple of months! - unless we were having very carefully-managed interactions, one on one. My older dogs (2 years at the time) were fine with her outside, so we spent a lot of time in the garden so they could get used to her and, when she was old enough to start little walks, I would take one other dog along for some of that so that they could learn to co-exist. It was seriously hard work, especially as I was alone in a different country away from my husband! It took about two to two and a half months before they started to accept her but they absolutely adore her now. Luckily, she was a very respectful puppy who never jumped on them at all.

Even if your boy is good with the puppy, though, you need to give him plenty of time away from it, and make sure he gets plenty of attention. I would always recommend a puppy pen, baby gates or similar to help with this.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I just bring the pup in the house and Tatze treats them like she’s their mother. All the same, I never leave her alone with the pup until the pup is 7 months old.

Tatze has a chair and, once she’s on there the pups aren’t allowed near her at all - it’s her safe snoozing place :)

This was her when Twiglet arrived -

5. Andrew Faulkner

Great advice guys... thanks.

6. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Tilly was 9 when we got Cooper at 7 weeks, and they were fine from the get-go. I wish we had gotten a pup when Tilly was younger, because Cooper grew up very competitive and was bigger and stronger. Tilly had a hard time catching and retrieving tennis balls, because Cooper did pass interference. We have to throw a second ball for Tilly, when Cooper is in the process of retrieving. At home they often share a dog bed, and don't argue about food. They still play tug and bitey face. Cooper runs like a Greyhound, while Tilly just trots, a little faster than I can walk

7. Andrew Faulkner

What kind of commands or behavior should we implement if Gus is aggressive or snaps at the new puppy? I just have a feeling he may be aggressive at first.

8. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

If in doubt as to whether Gus will be aggressive you need to nake sure that all meetings are with puppy in a pen set up so that Gus can not harm her. It is so impirtant that the early interactions for the puppy aren't frightening. It may be a good idea to have Gus on a lead so that if necessary he can be led away from the puppy without any fuss or risk. There is no need for a 'command' just remove Gus to a distance. All interactions between resident dog and puppy should be heavily managed to nake tge experience a happy one. As @snowbunny says it can take some weeks/months for a new puppy to be accepted so plan for the worst, hope for the best :)

9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Allow him to growl. This is a dog’s warning sign and the puppy will understand it very well. If it turns to snapping or nipping then separate them. But remember they play with their teeth too!

This is all play :)

3D68BA52-A784-4E56-B3FB-ED761FEE57D8.jpeg

10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

It’s also worth mentioning that you should never reprimand your dog for communicating his feelings. If he shows behaviour that you don’t like (growling, baring the teeth, snapping etc) then he’s simply saying that the puppy is upsetting him. It’s up to you to make that better by giving him more space, ensuring he’s getting the same amount of attention he’s used to and that you are working on making interactions with the puppy as pleasant for him as possible. If you tell him off for showing he’s unhappy then he could easily associate the telling off with the puppy, making him less keen rather than moreso.

Andrew Faulkner likes this.
  11. Andrew Faulkner

I can't tell sometimes if he is wanting to eat Bella or play with her. I am just not giving him the chance to go after her again until she hits 14 weeks and I can start walking them together and letting them off leash together in a large area with us around.

12. Our dog Henry

Our dog Henry Registered Users

Some great posts. We are hoping to get a second chocolate lab who will be a direct blood line brother to Henry who will be 2 when it arrives. Henry has his create to go to which is now always open but should we fully enclose the new boy or leave his create open at night to start with.