Introducing the pup to her lead

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Dad of Bo, Apr 1, 2015.

1. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Introducing the pup to her lead

She sounds super, I'm sure you'll all have a great time together :)

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Is Bo short for something? My sister has a Cocker called Bo (short for Mr Bojangles) :)

3. Dad of Bo

Dad of Bo Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=10419.msg153552#msg153552 date=1427917028]
    Is Bo short for something? My sister has a Cocker called Bo (short for Mr Bojangles) :)
    [/quote]

No it's just Bo....

We wanted a short one syllable name for ease when training and we liked 'Beau' but that is a masculine word (meaning handsome) in French. So we went with 'Bo'

However, the wife, her sister, and the mother-in-law have all come up with different variations (Bojangles, Bo Bo, Bo Belle, etc etc) which will serve only to confuse the poor little thing (but who am I to argue?!)

4. David

David Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me too. I bet Bo is lovely - photo?

5. bbrown

[quote author=Dad of Bo link=topic=10419.msg153567#msg153567 date=1427917761]
    [/quote]

No it's just Bo....

We wanted a short one syllable name for ease when training and we liked 'Beau' but that is a masculine word (meaning handsome) in French. So we went with 'Bo'

However, the wife, her sister, and the mother-in-law have all come up with different variations (Bojangles, Bo Bo, Bo Belle, etc etc) which will serve only to confuse the poor little thing (but who am I to argue?!)
    [/quote]

I think we had a whole thread once on all the different names we give our dogs ;D

I have heard some people have a special name for their dogs when they're working just so family members don't undo all the training. I'm not sure if that works but maybe it'll actually help you! ;D

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=Dad of Bo link=topic=10419.msg153567#msg153567 date=1427917761]
    [/quote]

No it's just Bo....

[/quote]

When my sister said she was naming him Mr Bojangles, my dad asked what she was going to call him to get him to come back..... she said, "Mr Bojangles, of course!". Well, that lasted about a month.... ;D ;D ;D

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I like the name Bo :)

Looks like she's well on the road to a whole collection of affectionate nicknames though! :)

8. Dad of Bo

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Aw, she's gorgeous!!!

10. bbrown

She's beautiful!!! ;D

11. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

Hi and welcome :)
    Bo is one very beautiful puppy. Good luck with the lead training.

12. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hello and welcome! What a lovely puppy.

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Gorgeous!

14. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

She is so beautiful and I love the name, reminds me of Bo Derek. :D

I know you said you didn't want a debate about treats as a reward but can I ask why you are so against food treats? I have four spaniels, they are all working gundogs and do all the things you have planned for your girl. They either go beating or picking up on driven shoots, come out rough shooting with me and my friends and a couple also run in working tests and field trials and fun scurries. Using food as a reward has made their training not just enjoyable for all of us but also quick and effective. I just wish someone had told me about it twenty odd years ago when I got my first spaniels. :D

15. Dad of Bo

[quote author=heidrun link=topic=10419.msg153709#msg153709 date=1427959365]
    She is so beautiful and I love the name, reminds me of Bo Derek. :D

I know you said you didn't want a debate about treats as a reward but can I ask why you are so against food treats? I have four spaniels, they are all working gundogs and do all the things you have planned for your girl. They either go beating or picking up on driven shoots, come out rough shooting with me and my friends and a couple also run in working tests and field trials and fun scurries. Using food as a reward has made their training not just enjoyable for all of us but also quick and effective. I just wish someone had told me about it twenty odd years ago when I got my first spaniels. :D
    [/quote]

Hi there,

Yes I have a friend who used to have a thing for Bo Derek, so that was my justification when my wife asked "is Bo even a name?"...

Ref treats: I know of somebody (via a friend) with working dogs, he relied so heavily on food treats whilst training, that his dogs will barely lift a paw for him without a treat. I would like Bo to work well, driven by a desire to please me, rather than because she wants a treat!

However, I am not completely against it altogether and will see what our training instructor says when we go for our initial assessment in May.

16. bbrown

[quote author=Dad of Bo link=topic=10419.msg153727#msg153727 date=1427961647]
    Hi there,

Yes I have a friend who used to have a thing for Bo Derek, so that was my justification when my wife asked "is Bo even a name?"...

Ref treats: I know of somebody (via a friend) with working dogs, he relied so heavily on food treats whilst training, that his dogs will barely lift a paw for him without a treat. I would like Bo to work well, driven by a desire to please me, rather than because she wants a treat!

However, I am not completely against it altogether and will see what our training instructor says when we go for our initial assessment in May.
    [/quote]

Whenever I think of Bo Derek I always picture those braids! ;D

You often hear tales of peoples whose dogs won't work without food on offer and if you are going to use food it's really important to understand the difference between a bribe and a reward and how to develop a proper conditioned response. There's lots of wonderful resources on the main site and this forum. I can't wait to hear how you get on with your lovely girl.

17. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Just stopping by to say hi and welcome from me and my 2.5 year old Dexter x

18. Jen

Jen Registered Users

BO is gorgeous I'm sure she'll do you proud. ;D

19. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

It sounds as though your friend was using food to manage, rather than to train his dog. If a dog is only responding to the visual sight or scent of food, then food is being used as a cue or lure, rather than as reinforcement for the right behaviour.

Training with food, or positive reinforcement training is often confused with permissive management of dogs. But training is training, and in gundog training it needs to be effective whichever method you use :)

I trained many dogs without food before discovering modern training methods. And like Heidrun, wish I had known about them years ago.

Dog training has moved on immensely in the last few years, and sadly, some in the gundog community have been left behind. This means it is possible that your trainer will not use food, nor understand how to use food effectively.

You might find these articles interesting/helpful if you want to learn more

6 myths and the truth about food in gundog training
    Positive is not permissive

20. Dad of Bo

Thanks Pippa,

I'll give them a read.